+ Reply to Thread
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Jaket's Avatar
    Member #

Startup reset with low battery

hi

my battery has been fine, but when I had the old battery it was annoying that the ecu 'resets' when the voltage goes low. this stops the starting and resets the starting sequence.

This starting reset could be because the ECU has been programmed to make new reset when voltage goes to some low value. like 10.5.

OR the voltage actually goes so low that the ECU reboots and starting sequence starts over.

I was thinking yesterday that if someone(or me) would install big capacitor near the ecy to positive feed line, the ecus voltage would stay higher during startup. this would probably make the reset loop do disappear and you could start the bike with smaller battery voltage/state of charge.

JT
    http://corecatcher.wordpress.com/ <-- all my Triumph maintenance articles are here.

2005 1050. black fat bars, hugger, frame protectors, headlight fairing. Motech Alu-rack. Smoothed TB's. MIVV GP carbon, headers smoothed/ported, precat removed, Modified Arrow tune(economy version). Sargent seat. GSG-moto generator- & front axl sliders. Frame sliders. GSX-R brakes with 1000RR master cylinder. Iridum 8's plugs and running mobil 4t racing 15w-50 oil & Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello bobww's Avatar
    Member #

Re: Startup reset with low battery

My ape uses the same ecu and upgrades to all the electrics are a standard protocol especially on the older ones. Mine has had them all, but this would be worth investigating too. Are you likely to try this or are you still in the pondering stage?

Cheers

You think he's gone? He's not gone. That's the whole point! He's never gone!

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Jaket's Avatar
    Member #

i'm just pondering. I would need to check how it's wired.

The best thing would be to take a oscilloscope and measure the ecu's voltage fluctuation during startup. Then add capasitor to the feed line against the ground to support the voltage and then measure again how the ecu's voltage fluctuates during startup.

JT
    http://corecatcher.wordpress.com/ <-- all my Triumph maintenance articles are here.

2005 1050. black fat bars, hugger, frame protectors, headlight fairing. Motech Alu-rack. Smoothed TB's. MIVV GP carbon, headers smoothed/ported, precat removed, Modified Arrow tune(economy version). Sargent seat. GSG-moto generator- & front axl sliders. Frame sliders. GSX-R brakes with 1000RR master cylinder. Iridum 8's plugs and running mobil 4t racing 15w-50 oil & Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello bobww's Avatar
    Member #

i'm just pondering. I would need to check how it's wired.
    You lost me after this part

You think he's gone? He's not gone. That's the whole point! He's never gone!

Ads