Disable SAI on 2017 Speedy S?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver SquireSCA's Avatar
    Member #

Disable SAI on 2017 Speedy S?

I have the Arrow slipons and tune from Triumph installed, descreened the stock air filter, but I am not crazy about all the crackling and popping. I know that I can't use TuneECU on this bike like I did my 2011 Speedy, but can I still disable the SAI by capping it off, or just putting a marble in the hose going from the airbox to the SAI itself? I have done that on a lot of bikes, just pull the hose off the airbox, lube up a marble and stuff it in the hose and then reconnect it to the airbox... That would seal it off and stop introducing extra air into the exhaust manifold and reduce the popping...

Any downside to doing that? Or, is a better way to connect the crank case vent to the SAI hose and cap off the airbox, to draw a slight vacuum on the crank case? I think it is called scavenging?

Thoughts?

Member #
    Nobody knows?

Member #
    Seriously.... LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    Devious used to recommend the crank case vacuum/scavenging setup. Free HP through less resistance within the motor.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello antisocial's Avatar
    Member #
    As far as the '17 models, it seems that few around here have them as of yet. I am not sure how different it is from the 11-15 models, but likely not much. Once you get into it, you will likely find that you could simply plug it, as you have in the past. As long as you leave the solenoid plugged into the harness, the OBD system will be none the wiser as to what you have done (meaning it will not cause an engine light). And yes, many would say the best way is the way described as to use the system to introduce crankcase vacuum.
    Ha! You came to the wrong place talking that shit. We missing bone, spleens, testicles, and common sense from riding bikes.

Member #
    If I just plug the hose without disabling it in the ecu, could that cause a problem? By eliminating the air from the exhaust manifold, will the O2 sensor think the bike is running rich and try to lean it out?

these new Euro4 bikes, I don't know much about. Part of me thinks to just leave everything alone and not tinker with it, which goes against every fiber of my being. Haha

Member #
    Also, if I vent the crankcase to the sai, do I need to worry about the O2 sensors or some adverse condition with the cat converter?

on my last Speedy I had TuneECU and disable that stuff and removed the cat.

Member #
    The more I read, the more I am gonna leave it alone I think. With no way to disable the O2 sensors, I don't want to disable SAI or introduce crankcase vapors to the O2 sensors that may end up trying to make changes to the fueling because it thinks that the bike is "running too rich for EURO4 compliance" or some such nonsense. If I could use TuneECU on this thing then I would go ahead and do it...

But as electronics take over more and more on these machines, my fear is that a lot of the mods that we do, will start doing more harm than good...

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    is the O2 a wideband? routing the crankcase to teh SAI is going against your very reason for disabling the SAI. It will still pop and spit. Just throw in a marble or ball bearing fixed in place by a zip-tie on each side. you won't hurt anything
    So long, and thanks for all the fish..

Quote Originally Posted by Onestep View Post
    grab the rose bud and with a bit of heat she will bend right over

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houle View Post
    is the O2 a wideband? routing the crankcase to teh SAI is going against your very reason for disabling the SAI. It will still pop and spit. Just throw in a marble or ball bearing fixed in place by a zip-tie on each side. you won't hurt anything
    But are you sure about that? I get the crankcase part, the gains are probably minimal, if anything...

But with these 2017 EURO4 bikes, especially now that they have anti-tamper stuff in them because the law says that they can't allow the bikes to be modified to get around emissions standards... I feel like the bike could be sniffing the exhaust and if it wants to keep things "in spec", then I might be causing it to think that it is running a bit rich...

So I think I will leave it alone and turn up my headphones so that the popping doesn't bug me as much, and if I ever toss it on a dyno to see what's going on, the SAI hose is easily accessible to pinch off without having to move the tank or anything...

Unless someone knows for a fact that it won't do anything to the fueling, I will just leave it alone I think...

The problem is trying to find any definitive information on this stuff...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links