Daytona 675 or GSXR1k Upper Triple Clamp on a 05-07' Speed Triple?
    Member #

Daytona 675 or GSXR1k Upper Triple Clamp on a 05-07' Speed Triple?

Anyone know if this works? fork tube diameter the same? distance between the steerer tube and forks, or distance between fork holes the same?

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Martin_R's Avatar
    Member #

Re: Daytona 675 Upper Triple Clamp on a 05-07' Speed Triple?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweatypants
    Daytona 675 Upper Triple Clamp on a 05-07' Speed Triple?
    Now you're just talking crazy. 675s and 1050s do not really share any major components, they are related in name only.

What are you trying to do & with which bike's forks?

Member #

haha how am i talking crazy? there's really only 3 holes that have to match up on any given bike for this piece of metal to work with anything.

fork holes and steerer tube holes have to be the right diameter, and then the 3 have to be the correct spacing from each other. i'm asking cause then i can just buy a damn GPR triple clamp mount for a 675, rather than taking this GSXR one i have in my hand from this GPR GSXR steering damper kit i am going to make fit on my Triple, and cutting it out, and welding on another machined piece of metal to fit our triple clamps better.

since GSXR forks/wheel/etc is a direct swap, i wonder if that triple clamp is a direct fit. that would be even better.

hahaha thanks for the idea... anyone know if a GSXR1000 triple clamp will slap on here? haha

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello k1973's Avatar
    Member #

Re: Daytona 675 or GSXR1k Upper Triple Clamp on a 05-07' Speed Triple?

not sure about D675.

But S3 trees have wider fork spacing than GSXR1000. Several people have done the conversion to GSXR forks using the lower GSXR tree & a custom top tree. By doing this they were able to reuse the stock GSXR axle. I am near completion on my GSXR forks using stock S3 trees. In my setup I am not able to use the GSXR axle and instead had to opt for a ZX14R axle, as it is longer/wider.

I don't have the exact difference right now, but I can look it up once I get home.
    pffft....

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Martin_R's Avatar
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sweatypants
    haha how am i talking crazy? there's really only 3 holes that have to match up on any given bike for this piece of metal to work with anything.
    I'd be very surprised if top clamp on the slimmer forked lightweight 675 would be anywhere near the fat 1050 girls we ride.

Did you solve the frame side mounting point issue somehow? And how the handlebar will clear the damper? Looks to me the 675 has more room to play with between tank and steering axle:

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Dblhelx's Avatar
    Member #

Always weirds me out when someone feels compelled to spell out a nervous giggle in the form of "hahahaha" on internet postings. It's ok to giggle and not have to type it out to express it in a post, let alone a few times within the same post. hahahaha

Member #

can i type giggle for you instead? giggle giggle. love these things.... in any case...

upon reading that other post i see that gixxer forks are 2mm smaller, i dunno if there's 1mm on the outside of a triple clamp to safely shave off, so i guess its not even worth trying.

i was just trying to think about options out loud, but i dunno. the 675 definitely has more room to work with. but the gixxer had a one bolt tank mount style, with two perches to help stabilize it that rest on the frame right infront of the tank. its LOOKING like, if i shaved some off the sides and bottom of those perches, it will bolt onto the tank hole and JUST clear the triple clamp at full lock, while still being able to do its job.

the gsxr triple clamp mount for the gpr, or any gpr mount should work, as they use stock steering tube nuts on most all their kits unlike Scotts. however... the bottom of the mount has a contour to it to match the recessed little valley on the gixxer's triple clamp, if that makes sense, so it wouldn't sit completely flat. i was thinking simply, just cut that off, weld on a flat piece in its place, drill a hole in it for the steering tube, then drill two little holes in it and the triple clamp to help stabilize the mount further. with that in mind... it SHOULD work out. and so that is where i'm at right now. i'm about to send my triple clamp off to be powdercoated black, so whenever that comes back in 2 or 3 weeks, i will go to my buddy's shop and try to machine down this mount.

just figured mayyyyyyyybe there was a possible easier way out of half of that. shaving the tank mount is gonna be just a bunch of grind, test, grind, test... but i was trying to avoid a whole welding ordeal. i'm all ears if you got any suggestions.

Sponsored Links