front wheel intallation.
    Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver Speedy-Glez's Avatar
    Member #

front wheel intallation.

Good morning fellow triple owners, lurkers and mercenaries. Got a quick question regarding the front wheel after new tires ... I always take the tires off and take them over to a local shop to mount and balance. I actually got the irons and rim protectors to do it myself but I got busy and decided to just get it done Saturday so I could install and take her out for a Sunday mountain ride. New Q3+ mounted and back to the garage to get them installed. So here is where the question came up.

IS THE FRONT WHEEL DIRECTIONAL?

The shop mounted both rear and front ... rear is obviously directional and was mounted correctly ... but the front ... well when the tire's directional arrow is pointing forward as it should the valve stem is facing the opposite side of from the rear one. I installed it and rode Sunday about 100 miles to break them in ... and did not feel anything funny about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Speedy-Glez; 08-12-2019 at 10:31 AM.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    The tire needs to rotate in the direction of the arrow, or it’s going to put you on your ass in the wet
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello limey's Avatar
    Member #
    I guess we need the thread count
    Anyone seen my 10 mm wrench?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    So you are saying the front tyre is going in the right direction, but you are worried about the wheel itself, based on the fact that the valve is facing the wrong side. If it is the same as the 04, the wheel and the brake disks are all directional, and all have markings.
    My 2010 disks have no markings but the front wheel has an arrow on the side of the hub (left side) showing direction of rotation. I would expect your 05-07 to have the same.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver Speedy-Glez's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houle View Post
    The tire needs to rotate in the direction of the arrow, or it’s going to put you on your ass in the wet
    tire was installed with the correct tire rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    I guess we need the thread count
    this ain't your bed sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie. View Post
    So you are saying the front tyre is going in the right direction, but you are worried about the wheel itself, based on the fact that the valve is facing the wrong side. If it is the same as the 04, the wheel and the brake disks are all directional, and all have markings.
    My 2010 disks have no markings but the front wheel has an arrow on the side of the hub (left side) showing direction of rotation. I would expect your 05-07 to have the same.
    I noticed the marking on the wheel after the fact... even though I had no strange feel when riding it for about 100 mile trip I was not sure if it would affect the brakes since the rotor pattern is backwards ... I decided to do it right and took the wheel off and back to the shop to mount the tire correctly. tire and wheel have the same direction and both valve stems face the clutch side of the bike.

thanks yaaallllll!!!!!

Sponsored Links