Would you say Triumphs are reliable? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    Yes I would.
    My Speedy is now up to 142,000km/88,190ish miles - still reliable. The only issue is it's hunger for stators, which is a known issue specific to that model. Besides the stator, it hasn't missed a beat. I would rate all post 2006 Triumphs as equally reliable as jap bikes. Mine doesn't look new, but it has had a very hard and abused life, but still starts first time and wheelies everyday.

Expensive to maintain? No. Just stay clear of dealers who rip you off. And that'd be the case for all makes/brands of bikes.
    Triumphs use a lot of the same parts as Jap and German bikes for things like oil and fuel filters, spark plugs etc. A dealer charging 1100 for a 12k service service is a rip off merchant. I paid less than 500 for the 12k service.

Member #
    I have owned 23 bikes and my S3 is the first which has leaked oil- and in multiple locations.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Santa 1050 View Post
    Yes I would.
    My Speedy is now up to 142,000km/88,190ish miles - still reliable. The only issue is it's hunger for stators, which is a known issue specific to that model. Besides the stator, it hasn't missed a beat. I would rate all post 2006 Triumphs as equally reliable as jap bikes. Mine doesn't look new, but it has had a very hard and abused life, but still starts first time and wheelies everyday.

Expensive to maintain? No. Just stay clear of dealers who rip you off. And that'd be the case for all makes/brands of bikes.
    Triumphs use a lot of the same parts as Jap and German bikes for things like oil and fuel filters, spark plugs etc. A dealer charging 1100 for a 12k service service is a rip off merchant. I paid less than 500 for the 12k service.
    +1
    True. Dunno about the rest of the world, but over here triumph dealers are shit expensive and not all of their mechanics are that good....i.e. basically rubbish. Got three dealres within a 35mile radius and I would only go to one of them and only with certain issues. The rest is pure shite

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Wild View Post
    I have owned 23 bikes and my S3 is the first which has leaked oil- and in multiple locations.
    That is unfortunate Nicholas, but not a common issue.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    The 3 Triumphs I have owned have been more reliable than the 2 Kawasakis and 1 Yamaha that also loved dearly and owned prior to the Triumphs. Both the Kawasakis leaked and burned oil, and required much more maintenance than the Triumphs. You must've drawn the short straw Nicholas - pity, most are quite good

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie. View Post
    That is unfortunate Nicholas, but not a common issue.
    new triumphs should be checked at bolts and nuts around the engine cases the first year. Especially the 1050 and 675 engines....Tighten them and most of the times leaks will be solved.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Corn Fed View Post
    Where has Buster been, wasn't he thinking of a different motorcycle?
    Buster has been busy moving house and getting 2 kids 🙂

The bike has been sittin...

Member #
    Mine has 25k miles and has slid down the road on both sides, still no leaks. I don't count the oil filter that failed as that wasn't triumph's fault.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    I keep my 06 S3 in my rec room parked on the carpet. It's never leaked the first drop of oil. Other than the obligatory stator failure it's been as reliable as a stone.

Member #
    I find it a bit odd how honda vfr's have such a reputation for reliability and longevity, although they're plagued by the same charging system woes of the lesser liked 05-07 Speeds. As for longevity, several members here have proved these bikes can last just as long (100k+) if looked after. Hell, even the vtr1000 Superhawk is known to have had catastrophic failures of the cam chain tensioners which has killed more than a few motors. Yet, everyone considers honda to be the gold standard by which all others are judged while so many still look at Triumphs as the oil leaking temperamental bikes of old.

My notorious 07' didn't experience a single problem in my 20k miles of ownership. My current 10' in the same number of miles has done almost as well aside from a fried stator and rectifier, something I find rather ironic based off of the 07's reputation!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links