***Survival Skills for the Street*** - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello kjazz's Avatar
    Member #

Re: ***Survival Skills for the Street***

While riding, keep you head on full-swivel. Check all five points when crossing or enter an intersection. Look far right, mid right, front, mid left, far left. Then sweep back across. It helps to say "checking 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and back". This I learned while flying when turning from base on to final approach. It really helps.
    "What are you looking at fuzz nuts!!??" - Winston Churchill

For is not part of greatness the ability of a man to laugh, not only at himself, but, more importantly, at others?

leedsharlequin

Slow down, enjoy the ride, and ****s sake don't worry about 'Draggin a knee' Don't wheelie........in traffic

Member #

You can usually trust the surface of a track, you can NEVER trust the surface of a roadway, particularly around intersections where trucks, cars and even other motorcycles like to sit and spit up their oily, slick motor fluids all over the surface.

These residues like to make a surprise appearance just after a brief shower or shortly after rain begins to fall. The water floats the heavier liquids up out of the cracks. But before it gets washed away, it really lubricates the road well. Makes stopping in a hurry real sphincter squeezin fun!!!

For is not part of greatness the ability of a man to laugh, not only at himself, but, more importantly, at others?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Get in the habit of taking a mental snapshot of the road just ahead 50 - 100 yrds. In a fraction of a second, scan that image for ways the hidden gremlin will get you. You'll be surprised how many times, you're right.....this only works, if you will look for it. And one day, it WILL save your life.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Night Train's Avatar
    Member #

Access yourself before every ride. Make sure that you are mentally clear. Make sure that your bike is ready. Proper tire pressure, chain properly adjusted and lubed. All lights working, etc.

When you are out riding, ride within your limits. Everyone has different limits and those limits can vary from day to day. Don't be ashamed that you can't keep up. I've learned from my years of riding that there are some that I can't keep up with. But, I don't let that influence my riding. Unless your name is Rossi, or the others, you aren't being paid to ride fast. It just isn't worth your life or health.

Practice to keep up your skills (I'm personally guilty of this one). I don't agree with the phrase "It's just like getting back on a bike" or whatever they say. Yes, we may remember but we need to keep those skills honed and the only way is through practice and riding.

Wear all the gear necessary. I've seen accidents where the rider was wearing full gear. What could have been a really bad accident was not as bad due to proper gear. Gear is there to protect you, make you more visible and keep you comfortable.

Ride with confidence. Not your ego.
    "on a more serious note, how come reporters in Alabama don't speak with a "twang" and say stuff like "y'all see wut that there foo' done?" " Teemstah

"I have determined that all women are soul leeches..." Crashmasterd 2012

"Hey, for some reason I pictured you on a bigger bike!" Said all too often

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Night Train's Avatar
    Member #

By the way Rob, great thread.
    Ride with confidence. Not your ego.
    "on a more serious note, how come reporters in Alabama don't speak with a "twang" and say stuff like "y'all see wut that there foo' done?" " Teemstah

"I have determined that all women are soul leeches..." Crashmasterd 2012

"Hey, for some reason I pictured you on a bigger bike!" Said all too often

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello jarhead's Avatar
    Member #

^

“Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?" (Attributed to Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood, June 1918.)

Member #

Dont listen to the morons out there that claim wearing a helmet and ear protection (plugs) hinders their ability to hear cars etc around them.

Quite the opposite, a helmet and plugs have the ability to filter out the white noise and allow you to hear much more subtle noises that are excellent information to a rider.

Also, wearing ear protection will help you stay fresher, sorta like putting your veggies in a ziplock.

I guarantee, excess and prolonged exposure to high db noise is cumulative and will wear you down, diminishing your reaction time, judgment and perception. Stay fresh, get some effective plugs and wear em until you get used to them.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Sparti's Avatar
    Member #

Great thread. When I'm not typing from iPhone ill post some tips of my own.

"The thing I like about bikes is that only people who like bikes are on them... Cars are full of people who don't care." James May

Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver wesvailco's Avatar
    Member #

-save a life, don't give rides to ran-dumb women. I removed my rear pegs altogether, don't need or want the hassles.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links