***Survival Skills for the Street*** - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #

Re: ***Survival Skills for the Street***

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train

When you are out riding, ride within your limits.
    Best advice!!

You do need to test those limits to improve.....but thats what trackdays are for. Testing your limits on roads that have all sorts of hazards such as oil, rocks, gravel, tools in cars, wildlife, tarsnakes, wet patches, guard rails in the runoff area, leaf litter, to name just a few is just down right foolhardy.

To my way of thinking, a good rider is someone who knows his limitations and rides within them.

John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Sparti's Avatar
    Member #

"The thing I like about bikes is that only people who like bikes are on them... Cars are full of people who don't care." James May

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello kuhlka's Avatar
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kjazz
    Dont listen to the morons out there that claim wearing a helmet and ear protection (plugs) hinders their ability to hear cars etc around them.

Quite the opposite, a helmet and plugs have the ability to filter out the white noise and allow you to hear much more subtle noises that are excellent information to a rider.

Also, wearing ear protection will help you stay fresher, sorta like putting your veggies in a ziplock.

I guarantee, excess and prolonged exposure to high db noise is cumulative and will wear you down, diminishing your reaction time, judgment and perception. Stay fresh, get some effective plugs and wear em until you get used to them.
    +1. On trips where I didn't wear my earplug headphones, I found my mind wandering more (on the freeway), and the wind noise gradually wore me down. Night and day difference between how you feel with and without ear protection on long trips. Just keep a reasonable volume on the music. Just don't crank up the music so loud you can't hear other things (like sirens) while riding.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Don't go for a group ride with Cheap.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello bobww's Avatar
    Member #

^
    You think he's gone? He's not gone. That's the whole point! He's never gone!

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bobww
    ^

hahahaha.....this should be at the top of the list.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello kjazz's Avatar
    Member #

Wearing all the tread off your tires DOES NOT make them turn magically into "race slicks". Keep good tires on your bike, everything works better, going, stopping, turning, even sitting there at the Starbucks is safer with good tires.

At least once ever few years (or, alternatively every time you go out for a ride), check the oil level. And check the tire pressure while you're at it.

Finding an empty bolt hole or a loose fastener or other parts for that matter is ONE HELLEVA LOT less embarrassing inside your own garage rather than out on the road when your buddy points and says, "hey, sumpin fell off your bike dummass".

"What are you looking at fuzz nuts!!??" - Winston Churchill

For is not part of greatness the ability of a man to laugh, not only at himself, but, more importantly, at others?

Member #

For absolutely no reason at all......cancel your turn signal switch. If you program yourself to do this periodically, you'll never be driving down the road with the blinker running. It's annoying to others, or more dangerously, might cause someone to make a decision based on the wrong assumption about your intended path.

For is not part of greatness the ability of a man to laugh, not only at himself, but, more importantly, at others?

Member #

Always check your mirrors ( in case someone wants to do a little run-up to 100mph or so) periodically, as in every few seconds.

However, never assume the guys you are passing, have read the rule above.

Passing closely at high speed differential is a sure way to a senseless ass skinnin'. Then of course if the guy who's bars you hooked and sent flying on his ass down the freeway is able to stand up....he'll have God's righteousness behind him in giving you a bigtime ass whipping.

Member #

NEVER take the left lane of a two lane exit from a freeway. (unless its a left side exit)

Always keep some weight on your pegs (even if its just 5%)

Practice keeping all your weight off the handlebars whenever possible

never let your eyes stay on one spot for more than 20 secs (much less is preferable)

NEVER stare at what you dont want to hit or run over.

use eye contact and wheel position of oncoming, left hand turning vehicles to decide risk

its usually a sign that someone is shifting lanes of they first do a slight drift over. These 'drift, then changers' also tend to NOT look around a lot on the real lane change

oh, and wear your damn gear, al the damn time.
    Where did the cheese go

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links