Lean Angle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lean Angle

Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver Maverick05x's Avatar
    Member #

Lean Angle

So I've got a question for all of you who can still remember riding an S3 back in the day when they had one. Or for the few of you who still own one. Is it just me or does Speedy seem to attain some rather extreme lean angles awful quickly? It seems anytime I take a corner somewhat spiritedly I'm having to suck my feet as close to the bike as possible to keep them off the hardball. Is this just a misrepresentation of actual lean angle due to the geometry of the bike, or does she really get low that quickly?
    Last edited by Maverick05x; 06-13-2013 at 09:33 AM.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    She's relatively agile. But the pegs are lower than ideal for regular hardcore fanging or spirited cornering without hanging off her. Even with my race rearsets which are 1 inch Higher and back than standard pegs, I'll still scrape boots when I start getting more spirited and start to corner as you described above.

Member #
    Damn, I can't wait to have this problem.
    Propane, propane, propane, propane.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    One day padawan..

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello rnexussix's Avatar
    Member #
    I think that a tire profile would affect the lean angle as well. For example if your tires are "squared", you'll have to lean the bike more for a tighter turn.

Member #
    This is a very real possibility as I am due for a new set of tires and the current spec are pretty squared. at least out back.

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rnexussix View Post
    I think that a tire profile would affect the lean angle as well. For example if your tires are "squared", you'll have to lean the bike more for a tighter turn.
    You da shit Sherlock.

You have skills.

Speedy doesn't drop in that quickly and squared tyres make the transition in cornering worse.

AA
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    Tyre Profile and resultant profile from high wear plays a big part in how quick she tips into corners.

About 2 sets of tyres ago, I was running a Qualifier Q2 on the Front and a Roadsmart on the Rear. The front tyre actually wore out and was illegal before the rear. Because the Q2 was a fancy dual compound with soft shoulders/sides and harder centre. As a result, when the front was due for replacement, the centre patch was about an inch and a quarter wide before the the sides sloped steeply down. The profile was almost a triangle, because the softer edges/sides had worn first and were down to the Tread Depth Indicators, whist the centre was still about 3mm away from the TDI in the tread grooves. The effect on handling was that the transistion from upright to tipped over felt rather unstable as the bike literally fell over onto it's side into corners. Once it was on it's side, it was fine, but it was the transition that really affected cornering on tight twisting roads.
    Sqaured off tyres can still be leaned over quite far, but it takes noticeably more effort to do so, and the transition from upright to tipped over is much slower - almost feels lazy/lethargic. I found this when riding down to intercept the AusECR particpants on their return trip earlier this year. My tyres were okay, but compared to the tyres on GeetarPaul's loaner bike, they were somewhat squared - his were like new but scrubbed in. I was still able to gook along through the snowy mountains at a fun pace, but it took more effort to muscle it around compared to GTPaul (taking into account the Carbon Front wheel on his loaner bike).

So in answer to the original question, yes it does get over into scrape boots territory rather quickly if your tyres still have good profiles. You can still get there with squared off tyres, but it won't happen as quickly and will take more effort.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Night Train's Avatar
    Member #
    It could be that you need to hang off more on the bike so that less lean angle is needed to complete the curve?
    Ride with confidence. Not your ego.
    "on a more serious note, how come reporters in Alabama don't speak with a "twang" and say stuff like "y'all see wut that there foo' done?" " Teemstah

"I have determined that all women are soul leeches..." Crashmasterd 2012

"Hey, for some reason I pictured you on a bigger bike!" Said all too often

Member #
    I'm not debating any of the above, yet I'm not even talking about seriously spirited riding. That is another ball game and I know what she is like in that area. I think just lately around town, a few off ramps and on ramps, etc, it seems like I'm dragging my feet everywhere I go. Maybe I'm just riding more due to the nice weather and noticing it more often than usual. Plus I do believe my rear tire is on it's last leg thanks to all the slab riding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links