Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

Motorcycle police injury rate

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Avi8or 
#1 ·
Have been thinking about motorcycle accidents.

Was curious if there are any statistics for motorcycle police accident or injury rates.
Exclude things like getting shot.

How does it compare to the accident rate for std patrol cars?

#2 ·
I used to work at an auto body parts warehouse, and we used to have quite a few impala and Malibu parts go to our local PD. I'm surprised that bike cops don't have to wear (or choose to wear) more protective gear.

#3 ·
The tide is changing. My understanding is that the current garb is based on the idea of keeping Moto cops "approachablel" and "friendly". But that's changing as a three quarter helmet and short sleeve shirts can make a minor get off more severe than needed. I'm seeing more and more cops with the modular helmets and jackets. It's about time that they get better protection.

#6 ·
in finland this is the legendary suit, full leather and helmet that has lifting chin part.

Photograph Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Helmet

now days there is also txtile suit.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Fuel tank

now days yamaha fz-1 with add on lower fairing is probably the most popular bike. They used to have lot of BMW's, but those are not so common anymore.

there was some statistics showing that in Finland not a single motorcycle cop has died in 40? years. (of course they only drive for summer months, so maybe 5months? a year and they are highly trained. They have some sort of 7 week course at first and every spring they have week or two training.

JT

#7 ·
WSP (Washington State Patrol) rides BMW's mostly, although they just bought some Honda ST1300's that they don't like much. Most of them wear a flip up full face helmet and a special Police textile suit these days.

There are still a few Harleys in the WSP, but they only get broke out for funerals or parades and such. When they ride the Harleys they're usually in shirt sleeves, weather permitting.

Clark County has only BMWs and a couple ceremonial Harleys. You don't see them mutch. Mostly they use them to patrol the paved walking paths and around downtown Vancouver. They wear the flip-ups, and just a jacket over their Sheriffs deputy uniform.

#8 ·
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design
In Socal they roll with BMW's often and are bringing in the ST1300. I am told that they also practice using the 12 gauge while riding. Of the 50 deaths so far in 2013 nationwide for cops, 2 have died on motorcycles per Office Down Memorial page. So 4% of all cop deaths so far this year which would mean they are overrepresented as I doubt 4% of all cops are on bikes. So bikes are dangerous, who knew. Protective gear, Motoport rules this space. They operate out of a town near me and I went to visit. The owner, I forget his name, spent an hour with me, nice guy. On the interview he showed me all the orders he was fulfilling for the California cops. Tons and I see them in his Kevlar stretch gear all the time around here. The cops still like 3/4 helmets for the ability to see and hear well and communicate with the public without removing the helmet. Time will surely change that as we continue to harden up the cops into a paramilitary force which seems all the rage. In fact even our local OPD has unbelievable military like SWAT trucks now. I have lived here almost 20 years in Oceanside and have had two cops shot and killed and another three shot and wounded. One on a bike. So, risky business.

Search for a Fallen Officer

#9 ·
Are you an officer thinking about joining your Motor Unit? I rode for our department for over 6 years. Our seniors would always tell us "its not a matter of if you will experience a crash, its a matter of when?". I knew a few guys who made it through there stints without a crash. Not many though. One thing to consider is the level of rider training police Motor Units get compared to civilian motorcycle safety courses. There really is not much comparison in the level of skills participants learn in the two types of courses. I thought I was a fair rider when I went to Motor training. I must have been because I was able to pass the 'entrance exam'. Many do not pass on the first, even second attempts. After graduating Motor training I couldn't believe the techniques of controlling a MC I had learned. They come in very handy riding my Triple on the street. To answer your question about the comparison between accident rates between patrol cars and Motors, in my department patrol cars have way more accidents than the bikes do. The number of patrol cars is much higher than the number of bikes, so percentages should be considered. A good statistic to research might be what percentage of Motor officers crash compared to the percentage of civilian riders who get into accidents. As well as mortality rates of both groups. It is my guess that the percentage of civilians involved in motorcycle crashes is going to be higher than the Motor officer group. I'll try to research this as well to get some solid numbers. If the percentage of Motor officer crashes is much lower than the civilian rider group, from my experience, I would attribute the difference to the higher level of rider training a Motor officer receives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.