How do you like it: Standing or Sitting? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Member #
    He says the same about the staggered stance btw. I'd really like to get 3rd gear wheelies someday. For now, working on riding 2nd's out at slower speeds with more balance as opposed to just throttling it out. Run out of gear and rpm's too quick.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello cheapbastard's Avatar
    Member #
    the best part is Dale, I think there are just as many pics or maybe even more of me wheelying other people's bikes.

still my all time favorite, thanks for the ride Hockey and thanks for the shot Dude.

Last edited by cheapbastard; 04-24-2015 at 06:03 AM.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello cheapbastard's Avatar
    Member #
    oh, and yeah, I'm a sitter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dpelt73 View Post
    Every little hump you can turn the throttle and have the front wheel go up over the hump. I like those types of wheelies too.
    That is by far my favorite feeling on a motorcycle. Coming over the crest of a hill just lightly on the gas and the front end just gently lifts into the air. love it.

Typically for me I prefer sitting down if I can power it up with the throttle it up, stand up if I need to bounce it. It's usually sitting down in 1st, and standing in 2nd/3rd gear on most of the bikes i've had. I used to slip the clutch on my old supermoto but I really try not to abuse the bike like that.

My old speed four was a wheelie monster. I used to be able to stand up and bounce it up at 90mph in 3rd gear. You'd be going almost 120 by the time the gear topped out and you had to set it down. That was when I was young and stupid though. With how much power the S3 has, I typically just do low speed power wheelies from stop signs and out of sharp turns in 1st gear and leave it at that. I try to control myself for my wife's sake. I already feel bad enough that I can't help but to start cracking up every time I say I'm going for a ride and she says "you're going to keep both wheels on the ground, right?!"

Member #
    Sick lift on those wheelies cheap! Riding the balance point in 2nd?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Santa 1050 View Post
    3rd gear stand ups on Speedy are much easier with the "Cam Upgrade"...

What does your buddy ride?

Stagger step with one foot on the pillion peg can make it easier if it feels comfortable. I did stagger step and clutch up for my stand ups on the old RF900R.
    Hey guy how is your bike geared? Did you switch those up along with the cams? Yours is an 06 too, right?

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem-1965 View Post
    Man I bet. Been reading about that in older threads. Sounds like the bees' knees! From what I understand, the numbers gains are 13-15hp, 8lb tq? How about top-end speed? I really want them. F*cken love this bike. I feel like I literally need to buy something else to drive primarily and keep this as the ultimate badass. I can't stand getting a scratch in it.
    Anyways haha, yea my buddy has a '13 fz1 and had a gsx-r 600 before that. Does the bounce with mad lean/pull but is also a lifelong dirt biker since he was a little kid. I don't have chops like that yet lol
    Yeah, I went from 125 to 140hp - with the limiting factor at this point mainly being my choice of quieter/neighbor friendly muffler. Top Speed has increased a bit, but what's noticeable is how much more quickly it gets there. The mid range punch is much beefier than before (not that it's a slouch in standard form).

If you have some spare coin, perhaps drop Joe Houle a line - he may, be able to help. Otherwise our Richmond Motorsports friend in the cam swap thread has a heap of first hand info the cam swap...

Back to wheelies - Work and hold the balance point, and you won't run out of revs too quick - I'd say that's what your buddy is doing - experience gained from dirt biking, additionally the GSXR six had a heap of rpm to play with - get it up at 6k and you got till 14k or something silly. On the FZ1 he's playing the torque just like we do on Speedy, but again he's got a few more revs.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem-1965 View Post
    Hey guy how is your bike geared? Did you switch those up along with the cams? Yours is an 06 too, right?
    When I was young, foolish, childless with no responsibility I was just running standard gearing (18/42), and did good stand up wheelies with "modified" standard mufflers with slight EFI tuning and tweaking - making roughly 114-116hp.
    A free flowing muffler and remapping will help to hoist the front easier with less effort.

Cos my Speedy is a daily commuter I went through a phase of chasing fuel economy - I went to 19/42. I was still running that when the cams were fitted. When the chain and sprockets were due for replacement I opted for 18/43 (955i Daytona Std) which has been fantastic.

This has made it feel that bit more stronger everywhere in the rev range. I Sparti and Joe Houle both run 18/45 and Joe loves it. I felt with the extra power I didn't want to fight the front end clawing for the sky more than it does already.
    Without cams, standard gearing meant you could ride out 2nd gear wheelies without having to snick the 2nd to 3rd gear change with the front still lofted - my experience is whilst speedy does it, it doesn't do it as well a Suzuki box. The running out of revs issues likely don't affect Joe and Sparti cos Joe is mature and sensible and Sparti is scared.

Oh, and yes mine is a stator hungry 06...

Member #
    Awesome man, thanks for the in-depth response. Your ride sounds like my ideal setup. Was thinking the same eventually, either a 43 or 44 if I could find it. That's my plans for next winter (hopefully), to get everything together for the cam and sprocket change-up. Was reading about cam lobe specs and saw yours is were set differently at 100 as opposed to 96 where everyone else had it. Care to elaborate? I appreciate being able to learn from you guys on this forum so much. Thanks!
    Last edited by mayhem-1965; 04-26-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Member #
    Yea that pretty much nails it! The fz1 is more powerful than I thought. Great numbers on HP and torque.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links