Need advice on how to avoid hitting nuetral while doing 1st gear wheelies shifting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    Sunline might help
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

Member #
    Thanks for all the advice, nice wheelies too! Really wishing I lived closer to see level, even ridding at 2500ft is night and day better. Probably some of my problem is in the timing of my shift and the angle the bike is at when I initiate it. Waiting for the front to dip slightly sounds like a good idea, I imagine it also lessens the chance of going over too. Anyone know how much the solenoid shifter run in price and where to find one?

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    What Hockey said - your motor will be getting quite asthmatic at that altitude.

Search for quickshifters - maybe starlane quick shifters.
    It's a chunk of coin as opposed to learning to refine your techniques. Personally, I'd work on your clutch up in 2nd technique.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Also, don't baby your shift to second. The throw in between 1st and second is longer. (You have to go through neutral, keep in your mind you are losing some torque in this process as well)

These bikes are meant for a rough upshift to second.

Member #
    Have been practicing my upshift technique, waiting for the front end to drop slightly from it's peak height and preloading the lever, more or less waiting for the lever to come to me...huge difference! Have yet to hit neutral again, shifts feel much more positive too.

Trying now to figure out the best way to upshift and still keep the front end up without running too much risk of going over. Any tips or thoughts on how to do this? I imagine this is probably one area where a quick shifter would help. Having a hard time doing the shift quick and early enough without getting a very sudden rise that threatens to go over.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Jaket's Avatar
    Member #
    you should not upshift if you don't have the rear brake control as a second nature. Shifting is the easiest point to loop it and it's also the best way to damage the gearbox. I usually don't even try, if I want to wheelie fast I start at second and I really don't need to go third as the speed is way too fast if there is need to go up.

Usually I start at first and just raise it so high I can keep it going. Shifting is usually issue when the front is low.

don't worry about the clutch. it's easy to replace. Looping the bike or ruining the gearbox is the real fear you should be worried about.

Also leave some room (revs) so you can throttle out when it's coming down, this way it comes down soft and saves the fork seals.

Make sure the oil level is little (1-2mm) over the full. I usually check the oil without screwing the dipstick in at balance. if the tip touches the oil, it's ok. as when it's screwed in like it should be, it's now over to high. Without full oil the oil light comes on at little over balance point.
    Last edited by Jaket; 10-01-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    http://corecatcher.wordpress.com/ <-- all my Triumph maintenance articles are here.

2005 1050. black fat bars, hugger, frame protectors, headlight fairing. Motech Alu-rack. Smoothed TB's. MIVV GP carbon, headers smoothed/ported, precat removed, Modified Arrow tune. Sargent seat. GSG-moto generator- & front axl sliders. Frame sliders. GSX-R brakes with 1000RR master cylinder. Iridum 8's plugs and running mobil 4t racing 15w-50 oil & Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Mosfet regulator.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaket View Post
    you should not upshift if you don't have the rear brake control as a second nature. Shifting is the easiest point to loop it and it's also the best way to damage the gearbox. I usually don't even try, if I want to wheelie fast I start at second and I really don't need to go third as the speed is way too fast if there is need to go up.

Usually I start at first and just raise it so high I can keep it going. Shifting is usually issue when the front is low.

don't worry about the clutch. it's easy to replace. Looping the bike or ruining the gearbox is the real fear you should be worried about.

Also leave some room (revs) so you can throttle out when it's coming down, this way it comes down soft and saves the fork seals.

Make sure the oil level is little (1-2mm) over the full. I usually check the oil without screwing the dipstick in at balance. if the tip touches the oil, it's ok. as when it's screwed in like it should be, it's now over to high. Without full oil the oil light comes on at little over balance point.
    Thanks for the input. Since destroying my beloved Speed colliding with a large buck, I've been on a highly modified (30+ rwhp over stock) Ducati ST4. I regularly do monster first gear wheelies on it while shifting to second without any issues at all. The much shorter throw of the shift lever combined with a more precice feel makes all the difference in the world when it comes to not hitting nuetral. As for going over backward while shifting, as long as I wait until after the front has started to go down, I've never had any issues.
    I have has a few close calls on the Speedy, but those were times when I shifted with the front tire between 11 and 12 o'clock before the front had begun to go back down. Timing of the shift is very critical, because if you wait to late you won't have time to get back on the gas before the front tire lands in order to lessen impact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links