2nd gear wheelie in 1st
    Member #

2nd gear wheelie in 1st

I did what the subject says and would like opinions on protecting one's clutch cover from the rear brake lever punching a hole in it.

I looped it at 20 mph and it fell on the right hand side. I've done worse to my kawasaki and ktm and the cover was never punctured. I have Woodcraft frame sliders on it too. Really added insult to injury.

Is this a fluke or expected? I feel a lowside, without a roll, would have the same result, ending a track day and adding cleanup fees. No Bueno.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by khorn View Post
    I did what the subject says and would like opinions on protecting one's clutch cover from the rear brake lever punching a hole in it.

I looped it at 20 mph and it fell on the right hand side. I've done worse to my kawasaki and ktm and the cover was never punctured. I have Woodcraft frame sliders on it too. Really added insult to injury.

Is this a fluke or expected? I feel a lowside, without a roll, would have the same result, ending a track day and adding cleanup fees. No Bueno.

As someone who has looped their bike at over 60mph, the brake pedal just ground away, and the clutch cover found a new hole through to drain the fresh synthetic Motul...

As far as off the shelf clutch cover protection go, I've not seen much available for Speed Triples, besides some R&G items that didn't appear to comprehensive in its protective.

Years ago, one member fiberglassed himself up some covers using epoxy/resin and aramid fibers instead of glass fiber. Depends how much of a DIY-er you are. On my long term to do list is to make some wet lay carbon fiber protectors, but time is an insufficient commodity at present.

http://www.playwithcarbon.com/build-your-own-kits/

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/products...cmcflk300.aspx

Member #
    Sorry to hear about your loop out. The first to second wheelie method was all I used to do on my Speed, probably have done hundreds, took a lot of heat from the local law enforcement too . I've never looped out, but have come really close. Not sure what exactly happened in your case, but for me it was from doing my 2nd gear shift before the front started to come down while the bike was at 11 o'clock or so. Just make sure you time that one right.

Sponsored Links