Valve clearance check
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Jaket's Avatar
    Member #

Valve clearance check

here we go, time to check the valves, remove the tank

you need to disconnect the tanks electric wire and also the fuel line. fuel line needs to be pressed from the white areas to release it, no fuel comes out, only couple of drops.

this is the fuel line connector.

airbox is now visible and two wires and one vacuum line needs to be disconnected.

This is airtemp sensor(probably), press the metal to release it

This is vacuum sensor, under it there is also vacuum line, pull that off also.

Unbolt all the airbox lid screws and remove the lid. ( Sai Tube visible at the top of the box), needs to be disconnected.

Airfilter can be raised off and you see my modified intake airtubes. I'm keeping throttle open, thats why the butterflys are open.

To remove rest of the box, behind the box, two 10mm bolts need to come off.

after that the box raises up(if SAI is connected you need to disconnect that from the front.) This pic shows the engine breather line, remove it now

Airbox is off, now it's good idea to remove the coils and also clean the dirt away as much as possible.

Coils are now removed, remove the throttle cables(makes cam cover removing much easier, not sure is it possible without removing the cables).

SAI unbolted

Some moisture inside the SAI's. I have now disconnected front indicator wires(round ones), and cooling fan wire also

Cover off, it comes out to the right, under the frame. it was kinda stuck, but I used wood block to tap it loose. Remove the seal with the cover, it's clued a little at the camshaft ends, but press it loose.

This is how it looks, Notice my modified triumph text at the engine.

starting to check the valves. I don't use any markers or quides how to check them, I just turn the engine and when the cam is pointing away from the bucket, then I measure it.

Another view

This is picture showing that 0.20 + 0.06 makes 0.26. I usually first check the valve with the minimum(exhaust), 0,20, it's loose, then I check with 0.30 which is the maximum, that doesn't go in, so I try 0.26 and it's just little snudge, so that's it. Basicly checking the minimum and maximum is enough, if it's between it's ok.

I'm turning the engine with key, from the right. always go front. never back, turn it slowly, it's easier, because compression has time to escape.

That's it, 26000km and everything was within specifications. most intakes 0.16 -0,19, exhaus usually ~0.26-0,28

Cam's looked perfect, no wear, pitting, blue or oil starvation from countless wheelies.

While the tank is off now, I'm going to change the fuel filter also. and maybe plugs too. But I haven't got the spares yet.

I think triumph valve clearance checking intervall is overkill, 40000km would be good first check. I've done alot of trackdays and it's fine.

JakeT.

http://corecatcher.wordpress.com/ <-- all my Triumph maintenance articles are here.

2005 1050. black fat bars, hugger, frame protectors, headlight fairing. Motech Alu-rack. Smoothed TB's. MIVV GP carbon, headers smoothed/ported, precat removed, Modified Arrow tune. Sargent seat. GSG-moto generator- & front axl sliders. Frame sliders. GSX-R brakes with 1000RR master cylinder. Iridum 8's plugs and running mobil 4t racing 15w-50 oil & Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Mosfet regulator.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello kuhlka's Avatar
    Member #

Re: Valve clearance check

Excellent how-to writeup. When you say "always turn front, not back" does that mean counter-clockwise, pulling toward the front of the bike to turn the engine?

The last two times I've had my valves checked, I didn't need any shim changes either.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello doug's Avatar
    Member #

thanks jaket, page saved

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello trippeee's Avatar
    Member #

Nice!

I'd definitely change the plugs while you have it all apart.
    Those guys are fags!

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello prizontatt's Avatar
    Member #

can a mod please sticky this?

Nice writeup man.
    Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello BUCKET's Avatar
    Member #

Brilliant. This is the next thing i am going to attempt myself. As i don't know a great deal about valves,which is inlet and which is exhaust lobes ?
    I like shiny things.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Avi8or's Avatar
    Member #

I'd add a few things. You don't really need to split the airbox to take it off. Unless you need to change the airfilter you'd save a bit of hassle if you don't split it. If you do split the airbox, there is a rubber 'O' ring thingie gasket in the airbox periphery. Make sure it is seated properly before you re-assemble otherwise it can be damaged when ya tighten down the lid.
    A bit of silicone grease on the rubber inlet trumpets helps the airbox seat MORE easily onto the injector bodies when you reassemble.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKET
    Brilliant. This is the next thing i am going to attempt myself. As i don't know a great deal about valves,which is inlet and which is exhaust lobes ?
    Think about it just a little. Careful, don't hurt yourself. Have another beer if you feel a headache coming on. Which ones connect to the exhaust system? That's right, the front ones, guess those would be the exhaust valves. Now by the process of elimination, which ones are the intakes? Good. Have another beer.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello cheapbastard's Avatar
    Member #

stickied and locked. Good stuff JakeT, if you need to add any more info, pm me, and I will unlock it.

unlocked at request to add a bit more info.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Martin_R's Avatar
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kuhlka
    Excellent how-to writeup. When you say "always turn front, not back" does that mean counter-clockwise, pulling toward the front of the bike to turn the engine?
    Always clockwise. You do not want to loosen the sprag clutch bolt by mistake.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links