Chain question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain question

Member #

Chain question

Hey guys,

So I got the stator issue figured out, it actually wasn't the stator, just a bad battery that succumbed to the NE winter (even on a tender, in an unheated garage, froze to death the poor bastard)

Next up on PM's, a new chain and sprocket set, they are in the mail, stock teeth, 520 chain precut....

These rivet links, how do you put them together without buying a $100 tool?

I have a press for a chainsaw chain (I make my own chainsaw chains, go figure I can't figure out a bike chain) and it clamps and flairs the rivet out

Is the bikes chain identical in operation? Could I use said chainsaw tool to git er done?

The tool I have is made by Oregon
    OREGON brand products, chain saw chain and guide bars, accessories, and mower blades for homeowners

I'm not sure how wide it'll go, and if its not doable, are there any cheap alternatives?

**** i could probably just make it, I just need to know if I'm on the right track

Member #
    same type of tool. unsure if a chainsaw based one has the correct sizing for this chain though. see this video for pretty simply walkthrough on the process https://youtu.be/sM022oIyIC8
    Where did the cheese go

Member #
    Couple of my buddies have this tool and give it rave reviews. I personally have not used it, but it looks like a good piece of kit.

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool Kit - Multi-Tools - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear

Price is only $30. For the right tool for the job, IMO, that is a good deal!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cwb4tx View Post
    same type of tool. unsure if a chainsaw based one has the correct sizing for this chain though. see this video for pretty simply walkthrough on the process https://youtu.be/sM022oIyIC8
    Gotcha, so all you have to do is break the old chain, swap the sprockets, and throw the new chain on and flair the rivets?

Is there any alignment that needs to be done? The site I bought the chain from offered a "Laser chain alignment" tool, I thought they were blowing smoke up my ass so I didn't buy it haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Riderlak1 View Post
    Couple of my buddies have this tool and give it rave reviews. I personally have not used it, but it looks like a good piece of kit.

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool Kit - Multi-Tools - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear

Price is only $30. For the right tool for the job, IMO, that is a good deal!
    Very nice! Sweet find!

Member #
    As long as the screw thingy (technical term) is the right size, and the tool holds the link securely, it should work. I bought the Motion-Pro tool a while back and I don't think it was that expensive, so maybe that's an option?

Member #
    I just bought the stockton one, should be here by Friday! Anything else I should know about doing a chain and sprocket swap?

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Onestep's Avatar
    Member #
    Don't get the sprockets on backwards. Just compare the old ones and get the pinwheel shape on the new sprockets going in the right direction.
    '13 S3R Take everything I post with a MDOT truckload of salt.
    “Nobody else in this entire galaxy’s ever even bothered to make edible ball bearings. Genius.”

Member #
    Aye aye! Thanks!

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello rnexussix's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I just bought the stockton one, should be here by Friday! Anything else I should know about doing a chain and sprocket swap?
    How did stockton chain tool worked out for you ?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rnexussix View Post
    How did stockton chain tool worked out for you ?
    It was a tough job! I bought an ek mxyz (something like that) chain, with the 520 conversion sprockets, sprockets went on fine, no worries there, the chain battled me for a while, the plate that went over the pins didn't just slide onto the pins, I had to press that ****er as hard as I could muster with the stockton chain tool, I think the tolerances were a little tight, I was under the impression the plate was supposed to slide on, but I eventually pressed it on and flaired the rivets over with the tool, the flair didn't look that great, but I couldn't pry the plate off with a screw driver (my test of the rivets) so I guess it worked, I'll check it after my next ride, see how they look!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links