Pondering the Speed Triple
    Member #

Pondering the Speed Triple

I moved down from a berserk and quite modified 09 FZ1 a couple of years back, partly due to the fines and 6 month suspension, yet also due to the change in domestic situation. My downgrade was an 05 Hornet 919. Which has been a lot of fun in the city, and most my riding is commuting and short 20-30 minute blasts in the urban realm, and yet...with Spring now here (in Melbourne) I am eager to get out West into the hills more. And the recent trips of 250km round day trips and fairly short touring around the countryside have been okay in the twisties but far from fun on the highway, with the old 919 engine inspiring more an eagerness to get where I am headed than any sense of enjoying how I get there.

And then..I peek on a whim last weekend and find several speed triples for sale. One a 2008 model with around 27k miles on the clock, another an 06 model with 11k miles but a two hour trip to even inspect, and finally an 11' model with 7k miles on the clock. Some research outlines the changes in weight of the 2011 model, perhaps the master cylinder on the front also, slightly altered seating angle. All of them seem enticing, and as a Brit, long marooned due to amorous misadventure here in Melbourne, I should really at some stage ride a devil steed of the motherland.

my main concern is the riding position, for too many moons on R6s and Cbr600s led to too many shoulder and neck pains, which were getting to me even on the FZ1. I test rode an SV650 before getting the hornet two years back and knew within minutes the lean was too much for my haggard sinew. This may be the case with the S3? yet if its tentative, not instant, and I like the ride (as I suspect I will on any of the models mentioned) then I wonder if risers would be easy enough to remedy the problem.

Everything hinges more on this issue than anything else, for I doubt the weight will seem staggering and the power is likely to be more monstrous and intoxicating than my reliable urban brawler 919. Have peeked at the expected angles on ergo cycle, which confirm my concerns...yet will take one of the bikes for a test ride on the weekend.

Have seen a fair few find issue with the electrics? tricky to check other than through the honesty of the sellers...any other hints and tips? On these years specifically? I see that the 27000miles shouldnt be seen as an old bike given the longevity experienced by many ? (though obviously I would be more keen on the 11 model with much lower miles)...

The suspension linkages seem important on these bikes...how to check when I peek? Though i would expect the 7000 miles offering to have had barely any servicing if at all. Oil change, petrol pump replacement (as was left sitting for 2 years and gummed up I assume), pads and tyres is all I am aware of with that one...

Any advice is welcome.
    Cheers,
    Daniel

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello 2doggs's Avatar
    Member #
    Seating is fairly upright. You shouldn’t have a problem there. 05-07’s have some issues with the stator. I have an 06 with 20k miles on it and I haven’t had any problems. There are others here that haven’t had any issues either and others that have. There is great info on this site for stator replacement. I like the classic look of the pre 2011 with the round headlamps. And the 05-07’s are still very nimble despite the weight changes, and have plenty of grunt. The front end gets light very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by m4ppy
    I have always ridden Aprilias and Ducati bikes, but after years of failing electrics and parts failing off I moved over to Triumph.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    Round eyes rule! I'm ancient and find the riding position acceptable.

Don't ponder too long.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #

You should have no problem with the seating position on the 06, mine is the 05 model and I have no issues with the seating position (at 5' 10"). No issue with the weight when on the move, feels well balanced and you don't notice she's a bit of a lardarse. I have 4" risers and extra wide fat bars, around 2" longer at each end compared to the stock bars. I found mine has a bit of an issue going slow, especially when the triple roar kicks in around 5,000rpm, if your not careful you can see really stupid speeds, mine topped out at 225kmh, but you can't sustain that kind of speed and still have a neck, sort of like this kind of effect
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    I have a 70 year old body, have always loved the S3, this is my second one, an 09 model in matt black. My only mod to comfort has been to install SW Motech handlebar risers.I can highly recommend them. I have also fitted a Sprint rear brake, which for me, made a big difference, but it's not essential. I've yet to meet anyone who's not enjoyed riding the Speed Triples.

Member #
    If after you’ve ridden an S3 you feel you must own one, (quite likely ) there are plenty of bars and risers to choose from. LSL and Rizoma do a fair few so getting comfortable shouldn’t be an issue if the standard set up is not quite right for you. I’ve dropped my bars a tad to take a little weight off my arse.

Member #
    Thanks for the advice,folks...I test rode the S3 today, in the rain, following the seller who rode my old 05 Hornet. I decided to buy the damn thing. Will definitely be looking to get some risers and also a screen for the front. Will post pics in another thread shortly!

Sponsored Links