My new devil steed...
    Member #

My new devil steed...

Finally test rode the Speed triple this morning. It was raining and conditions were poor, yet I had a decent ride following the seller around on my CB900f Hornet. Agreed to pay $7500AU. Its a 2011 model. 11000km on the clock. Aftermarket muffler, mirrors, K and N air filter, new pirelli angel GTs, tail tidy, led read light with built in indicators...new fuel pump recently also as it had been sitting for a year or so when the owner was on his travels.

It seemed so much easier to find power than on the in line fours I have ridden, and I was riding very carefully, with the owner keeping a keen eye on my antics! Will need to get the risers I feel, and also a front screen. The suspension felt firm, room to adjust. May also reinstall the original cans...the weight may help with the firmness of the suspension? And I doubt it will impact performance. Didnt take a good look at the muffler, though do wonder - as I have played with power commanders and even a top drawer mega impact ECU flash on my FZ1 of old - if the fuelling is best changed to match the aftermarket muffler?

The clutch lever is aftermarket as is the front brake - clutch doesn't sit perfectly, but it felt fine to ride with.

My first peek around the forums will be for the screens and risers - a few helpful posts in my other thread for the latter. Assume I just need the bar diameter and then to find one which fits? What is the maximum rise I can get without needing to change any cable lengths?

Also will research common mods, the cheaper the better really. Though I am intending on avoiding making any significant changes (presently!).

Last edited by thegutterpoet; 10-09-2019 at 03:24 AM.

Member #
    Congrats on your new steed. Refitting the stock cans for the extra weight will have no difference on the firmness of the ride. Getting your suspension set up by someone who knows what they’re doing will. Money well spent..

Member #
    Any advice on the risers options, mate? Do I just need the bar size and maximum extension I can get without needing to recable then to look around??

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Seems like a good place to start. Rizoma do 42mm and 60mm risers but they’re not cheap. Not sure what other manufacturers do, so an internet search should point you in the right direction.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpets View Post
    Seems like a good place to start. Rizoma do 42mm and 60mm risers but they’re not cheap. Not sure what other manufacturers do, so an internet search should point you in the right direction.
    What is the bar diameter mate? 7/8? And any idea of maximum extension without needing to change any cables?
    Last edited by thegutterpoet; 10-09-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Member #
    These might be an option..

https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/TRIUMP...2572056578.htm

I’m guessing your S3 has ‘fat bars’ which are 28mm in the middle, tapering to 22mm at the bends. No idea how high you can go without recabling but 60mm should be achievable.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpets View Post
    These might be an option..

https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/TRIUMP...2572056578.htm

I’m guessing your S3 has ‘fat bars’ which are 28mm in the middle, tapering to 22mm at the bends. No idea how high you can go without recabling but 60mm should be achievable.
    I've got a chap here in Australia who will sell me his SW-Motech 1 1/4" , and back 1" risers for $50. Seems a good option?

Member #
    Not bad at all. Go for it

Member #
    Its done...now for the screen. I have seen a few options. Yet can anyone point me towards a probably white screen which fits the colour scheme and is reasonably priced?

And what is the story with the ECU tuning routine? It seems, from a brief peek on youtube and on here, that its a simple cable job, not send off the ECU...this may be of value if I stick with the aftermarket muffler, will know more on that score when I get the S3 next weekend.

Is this what I am looking for>>
    https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...246&sch=737487
    Last edited by thegutterpoet; 10-11-2019 at 05:36 AM.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    One of the nice things about these bike is the ease of tuning them. All you need is the free tuneECU software and the right cable.

Sponsored Links