Looking for power - Page 22
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Member #
    I'm sure my Dad will get a kick out of hearing about someone else having one. Most people in this country are clueless about those bikes. He was forced to sell one of his two bikes in the early eighties, one was the RD and the other was a really nice silver CB750. Everyone thought he was crazy for choosing to sell the CB. No one appreciated what the RD was about, far less of a dime in a dozen bike, especially today.
    The only other Canadian RD I knew of was raced by a young up in coming racer back in the day named Ricky Orlando. I remember watching him and Danny Walker (later founded "Danny Walkers Supercamp") back in 82' when I was 7 with my Dad. Ironically enough, I ended up racing against and beating Orlando about fifteen years later when we were both on ZX9's. Funny how things work.
    Last edited by Bryanc123; 11-20-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Member #
    For anyone interested... My Speedy, well, now its the dealer's Speedy is still sitting in the shop, waiting on new engine cases...

But the new Monster is a hoot. It feels like a hooligan bike should. I do miss the quickshifter, and I did have to go aftermarket rearsets for the Monster as the stockers are absolute crap unless you have a size 8 women's shoe... But now that I got the rearsets sorted so I can properly lean off the bike in turns, and I am gonna order up a TransLogic quickshifter kit...

But the power is a good bit better. Only 15hp and 10ft/lbs of tq at the wheel difference, but the way it is delivered is night and day apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    For anyone interested... My Speedy, well, now its the dealer's Speedy is still sitting in the shop, waiting on new engine cases...

But the new Monster is a hoot. It feels like a hooligan bike should. I do miss the quickshifter, and I did have to go aftermarket rearsets for the Monster as the stockers are absolute crap unless you have a size 8 women's shoe... But now that I got the rearsets sorted so I can properly lean off the bike in turns, and I am gonna order up a TransLogic quickshifter kit...

But the power is a good bit better. Only 15hp and 10ft/lbs of tq at the wheel difference, but the way it is delivered is night and day apart.
    How is that Monster in the twisties with that longish wheelbase?...
    -you only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    To be honest, I haven't gotten a chance to take it to the Mtns and really get on it yet. But while the wheel base might be slightly longer, the center of gravity is lower, so it falls right into a turn. The bars feel slightly wider so you have a little more leverage. It feels stable and the Ohlins front and back does a nice job of smoothing the road out.

The stock footpegs really suck. They keep your heels out so your toes are pointed in, which makes it really hard to get a good body position going. Every time you came into a turn, you are fidgeting and moving your feet around 5 or 6 times to get it where you want and it never really felt right...

The new rearsets feel much better. Kind of in between the stock comfort and position, and a GSX-R... Its still got leg room and comfort, but more aggressive for sure and now the passenger pegs are not there interfering with your foot, so you can ride it proper...

I don't know how those stock rearsets made it through the design process, they were complete crap. They look nice, but the weigh a ton and don't let you ride the bike properly... And swapping them out took over 2 hours... Crazy.

Member #
    Another thing is the weight. Dry weight listed for the Monster is 22lbs lighter than the Speedy. The battery is housed under the motor, and some other things that keep the weight down low. The Termi kit that the previous owner installed is the full titanium kit, which ran him around $2800. That, losing the stock rearsets, the stock mirrors, the evap can and some other things, probably has the dry weight now down around 385lbs, give or take. It's not a heavy bike to begin with, factory claims 401lbs dry...

It certainly feels lighter and less top heavy... more "flickable" than the Speedy did... So maybe that will help compensate for the longer wheelbase.

All it needs now is a small windscreen like the Speedy and Monster R has, and a quickshifter and we will be in business.

Member #
    Merry christmas

Member #
    Long time lurked here and thought it was about time I posted something. Have owned a 2017 Speed Triple R for a couple of years now and, seeing as the warranty has now expired, figured it was time to try releasing a few ponies from it if possible without major surgery.
    Have read this thread with interest and am aware and agree with the general view of this era of Speedy being a bit fat and lazy, so am looking to go down the not-too-invasive and not-too-expensive route to see what that yields, if anything. I.e. a Power Commander, Arrow lowboy with de-cat, high flow air filter and a proper dyno setup.
    I already have the twin arrows so am tempted to just gut the cat out of the existing system, but I'm also a magpie so some proper new stainless/titanium appeals rather than a potential bodge, and then I can try and flog the old system too.
    Will report back on this thread on progress. Though please feel free to tell me now if this is a waste of time, effort and money and I should save my pennies for a V4 Streetfighter instead!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Sponsored Links