Looking for power
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Member #

Looking for power

2017 Speedy S with arrow slipons and tune. Made 122hp on the dyno, down 2hp from my 2011 on the same dyno.

i have a power commander on order to do some tuning. I have geared it down to 17/45...

i thought it was fast until today. My wife has the new street triple RS. We were on the highway and decided to do a 6th gear roll on. I figured my geared down 1050, at 5000rpm would be in the meat of its torque curve at 75mph and just walk away from her 765.

it didn’t. She walked away from me. Slowly, but the little street triple 765 had a faster 6th gear roll on than a regeared 1050...

grantd my bike weighs 70lbs more and I weigh 110lbs more than her, but it was disheartening. Would be like buying a Mustang 5.0 V8 and your buddy with the v6 model beats you in a drag race...

anyway, as I am getting it tuned anyway, and other mods to consider? Velocity stacks? Air filter? I can’t remove the CAT on the 16+ models without cutting and welding...

just looking for ideas...

i am am sure the tuning will help, as the AFR in the midrange is like 15 or so... way too lean and not good for power...

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Night Train's Avatar
    Member #
    Yeah, that kinda sucks. Although, I once got beat by the Dial a Ride van while in my Chevy Impala. That was a bit embarrassing.

Seems like you're on the right path. Have you thought of a supercharger? I know that's big bucks but, that would cut to the chase.
    Ride with confidence. Not your ego.
    "on a more serious note, how come reporters in Alabama don't speak with a "twang" and say stuff like "y'all see wut that there foo' done?" " Teemstah

"I have determined that all women are soul leeches..." Crashmasterd 2012

"Hey, for some reason I pictured you on a bigger bike!" Said all too often

Squidly Diddlers My name is Jeff's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    2017 Speedy S with arrow slipons and tune. Made 122hp on the dyno, down 2hp from my 2011 on the same dyno.

i have a power commander on order to do some tuning. I have geared it down to 17/45...

i thought it was fast until today. My wife has the new street triple RS. We were on the highway and decided to do a 6th gear roll on. I figured my geared down 1050, at 5000rpm would be in the meat of its torque curve at 75mph and just walk away from her 765.

it didn’t. She walked away from me. Slowly, but the little street triple 765 had a faster 6th gear roll on than a regeared 1050...

grantd my bike weighs 70lbs more and I weigh 110lbs more than her, but it was disheartening. Would be like buying a Mustang 5.0 V8 and your buddy with the v6 model beats you in a drag race...

anyway, as I am getting it tuned anyway, and other mods to consider? Velocity stacks? Air filter? I can’t remove the CAT on the 16+ models without cutting and welding...

just looking for ideas...

i am am sure the tuning will help, as the AFR in the midrange is like 15 or so... way too lean and not good for power...
    Just buy a R1! Lol.. the wife won't know which way you went.....
    Last edited by My name is Jeff; 08-14-2017 at 05:58 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Yeah, my days on full on sportbikes are over I think. Just not comfortable for all day riding...

Supercharger is more than I will want to spend... At that point I could just sell this and get a Tuono 1100 or something...

I will most likely keep the bike, I am just a bit bummed that the little brother ends up being faster than the "literbike"... It really drives home the point of how far the Speedy has slipped over the years... As fun and refined as it is, as far as the motor goes, it is the slowest of all the naked literbikes. And now it is slower than it's own little brother.

This bike needs a real update, not just tweaks to the plastic and new headlights, you know?

Squidly Diddlers My name is Jeff's Avatar
    Member #
    Yeah, my days on full on sportbikes are over I think. Just not comfortable for all day riding...

Supercharger is more than I will want to spend... At that point I could just sell this and get a Tuono 1100 or something...

I will most likely keep the bike, I am just a bit bummed that the little brother ends up being faster than the "literbike"... It really drives home the point of how far the Speedy has slipped over the years... As fun and refined as it is, as far as the motor goes, it is the slowest of all the naked literbikes. And now it is slower than it's own little brother.

This bike needs a real update, not just tweaks to the plastic and new headlights, you know?
    I wouldn't worry to much I've wasted a lot of money on having the best and fastest.
    Just be happy with what you've got the speedy goes heaps good enough in the real world and don't forget about the cops
    wanting to spoil your day
    If your really that worried just take the wife's bike out for a spin when she's not looking.. LOL!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by My name is Jeff View Post
    I wouldn't worry to much I've wasted a lot of money on having the best and fastest.
    Just be happy with what you've got the speedy goes heaps good enough in the real world and don't forget about the cops
    wanting to spoil your day
    If your really that worried just take the wife's bike out for a spin when she's not looking.. LOL!
    There is that. Part of me just wonders if I got the right bike. I mean, you spring for the extra money and insurance costs to get the bigger literbike, only to be bested by the "little bike"... bugs me! haha

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #

grantd my bike weighs 70lbs more and I weigh 110lbs more than her..

The S3 is moving 180lbs more than the s3RS.. I'm thinking maybe being too lean isn't the issue there Lunchbox...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houle View Post
    The S3 is moving 180lbs more than the s3RS.. I'm thinking maybe being too lean isn't the issue there Lunchbox...
    Yeah, I get that, but at the same time, I know that the bike is running really lean in the midrange, and if the TOD taught us anything, its that the motor likes being on the rich side... I know that there are some ponies in there, waiting to be unlocked.

Like I said, this bike is supposed to be making 7hp more than the old one, but on the dyno it's actually making 2hp less.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello BUCKET's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by My name is Jeff View Post
    Just buy a R1! Lol.. the wife won't know which way you went.....
    This or a Ducati .
    I like shiny things.

Member #
    At 5000RPM you would be at about 70hp. According to gearing commander, the RS would be at 6150RPM at 75MPH. Which would translate to about 60hp.
    Assumptions in weight from here on
    Speed Triple: 700lbs total
    Street Triple: 520lbs total

Power to weight at 75mph (speed): 0.1 lbs/hp
    Power to weight at 75mph (street): 0.115 lbs/hp

As the hp goes up almost linearly from there-on for the 2 bikes, the power to weight advantage keeps increasing for the street!

MCN Fleet: Speed vs Street Power | MCN

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links