99' Speed Triple 955i Turbo Build - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Don't forget to upgrade to an 05-07 stator.
    So what is the stator upgrade? havent heard of it?

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    You haven't met Limey? Our resident curmudgeon.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

Member #
    So, some of the issues I'm having, is parts sourcing. It isn't easy to find forged pistons and rods for my bike.
    a couple of other things I'm trying to source is:
    Turbo Cam Shaft,
    Extra oil coolers
    And Ohlins made a rear shock for these bikes. Would love to find one. It would have to be used, then have it rebuilt. If anyone knows of one, or even a lead on how to find one, it would be appreciated. I know it's kind of a pipe dream to find one, but I'll try!
    I'm planning on converting the front end to inverted ohlins forks.
    Anyone have suggestions?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    An Aussie that used to be on here, did a turbo fit to his 2000 model. I think he also fitted GSXR upside down forks and may be a Sprint GT swingarm. His name is Watto. Look him up and search through his posts. Unfortunately none of his photos are still available. Send him a pm, and I'll call him and get him to check his messages. He will be able to help you out I'm sure.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie. View Post
    An Aussie that used to be on here, did a turbo fit to his 2000 model. I think he also fitted GSXR upside down forks and may be a Sprint GT swingarm. His name is Watto. Look him up and search through his posts. Unfortunately none of his photos are still available. Send him a pm, and I'll call him and get him to check his messages. He will be able to help you out I'm sure.
    Thanks, will look him up!

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    The longer Sprint swing arm would def be a good idea with a turbo. Ignore the stator comment, no only would it not fit but your air cooled unit is more reliable. Good luck with finding the rods & pistons.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by livelarg View Post
    Thanks, will look him up!
    let me know if you want to PM him and I'll let him know. I don't believe he comes on here any more.

Check out this thread....there's some photos and stuff in post #48 and later https://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum...west-oz-2.html
    Last edited by Chewie.; 12-09-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    John

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    The longer Sprint swing arm would def be a good idea with a turbo. Ignore the stator comment, no only would it not fit but your air cooled unit is more reliable. Good luck with finding the rods & pistons.

For my purposes, I can't extend the wheel base more than 2 inches. Plus, I still love the look of the single sided swingarm!

Member #
    So, A little more stripping down. Front end off.

So I am contemplating switching to inverted forks. But would like to find out the actual benefit for me to do this. I know about the unsprung weight, less stiction. etc. but would like to know the numbers behind this. Also, would be able to put on a more modern and lighter wheel.
    Anyone know of weights of wheels and forks? or how to find the info? google searches did not find it.

Sub-frame is gone too.

As you can see at the bottom of the photo, I went to Harbour Freight and got a cheap box with drawers so I could keep track of all the bolts and parts.

Next is swingarm and shock!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by livelarg; 12-12-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Member #
    Thanks for the weight on the front wheel. That is just what I wanted to know. I have the 6' rear wheel byt the way.

I did a lot of reading on the USD forks. And the rigidity, unsprung weight and less stiction are the big bonuses. But I also read that for the most part, you have to be doing some hard riding to make it all worthwhile.
    The reason Im thinking of it, is because I am thinking about taking my bike to the Texas mile, see what it would do. So the better fork might be beneficial for that, and would love having lighter rotational mass for street riding.

But, I this is a purpose built bike. And that purpose is to go as fast as I can make it go. But I also have to work within the budget of a retired FireFighter, so I need to make sure the front end is worth the investment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links