2007 Speed Triple - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Yeah I spose, to each their own. Ive spent the last forty plus years on sports bikes, mostly GSXR's both on and off the track and never felt the need for a reverse pattern.
    Cant say my 07 Speedie throws many false neutrals at me either, maybe just lucky?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDTRIPPER View Post
    Yeah I spose, to each their own. Ive spent the last forty plus years on sports bikes, mostly GSXR's both on and off the track and never felt the need for a reverse pattern.
    Cant say my 07 Speedie throws many false neutrals at me either, maybe just lucky?
    You might be and/or I might be somewhat unlucky, both my previous 07' and current 10' have had a real tendency to catch neutral especially going 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th. Nevertheless, older Speeds aren't known for having very good transmissions. The lever having such a long throw doesn't help matters and is why pushing down up shifting would be much easier for me to deal with. I'd much rather catch a false neutral on a down shift, things aren't spinning as fast and is easier on the tranny as a result. For my type of riding, I think a quick shifter could help with the shifting as well.

Member #
    I tend to always have boots on and have my shift lever set pretty low, don't know what it is as I said maybe just lucky I guess.
    Haven't ridden anything with a quick shifter fitted so no idea on those. I'm a bit old school don't like all the electronic aids, maybe ABS but I like to think I'm in control
    not some computer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    I have never missed a shift on my '06 since I threw away the linkage and bolted a YZ80 shift lever directly to the shift shaft. I think I would have a hard time adjusting to a reverse pattern. When I first started riding there were all kinds of different patterns and schemes including twist grip and hand shifters (suicide shifters). Standardizing shift controls is one of the few useful things the US federal government has done in my lifetime.

Member #
    Yeah I'm with you dr, 40 odd years with the standard system pretty much embeds it into your subconscious, kind of like hardwiring! I'm interested in the YZ80 mod, which model did it come off?
    The less moving parts the better, less joints to get worn and sloppy.

Member #
    I run the motorcross shifter as well. When ridden back to back with a linkage style, it feels like it has a slightly longer throw to me, but the less slop is nice.

The reverse pattern probably wouldn't be something I'd even consider if it weren't for all the years I ran my race bikes like this. For me, it's a much more intuitive way to upshift. I'd much rather catch a neutral on a downshift than an upshift.

Member #
    Might give the mod a go nothing to lose. Yeah the reverse pattern is probably just natural for you, like the standard one is for me.
    I totally get the advantages on race bike.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    There are at least two YZ80 shift levers available. I'll try to dig them out but I did it more than 10 years ago. The first one I tried was a little longer and therefor took a longer throw plus it hit my boot too close to my ankle. The second one I bought is shorter and works better for me.

The longer one was a MSR YAMAHA YZ80 ALUMINUM SHIFT LEVER '83-'06
    I'm not finding the one I like.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    Sunline
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

Member #
    They're not super expensive so I might get a couple of variations to try out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links