My low budget custom Speedie
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #

My low budget custom Speedie

A few months ago, I came across a mostly 2010 Speed for $2600 bucks. The bike started life totally as a 10', but was wrecked at about 4k miles which damaged the frame and numerous other parts. The guy I bought it from replaced the frame with a gloss black powder coated clear title 99' one and replaced a few other parts, bought some cool rizoma parts (brake resevoir, grips, levers), and painted the bike in a pearl grey. Nevertheless, when I purchased the bike it was in need of some TLC. With only 8k on the clock, the motor and trans were really strong, better than my 07' ever was, but the chassis and cosmetics needed some help.

First priority was replacing the badly dented front wheel with a near perfect one off ebay ($360 with nearly new tire); in addition, the front triple clamp was tweaked so bad that getting the forks in was a two person job, so I replaced that with another ebay find for 40 bucks which also included a new ignition with a original key (old one only had a duplicate). Stock steering head bearings were junk, replaced with far better tapered bearings (huge difference). The previous owner never bothered to install a proper under tail which left the battery tray completely open to spray off the rear tire...not good. I purchased a high quality sheet of aluminum and made my own for 10 bucks and then made a license plate bracket out of angle iron from a old bed frame. Also, the taillight had a large gap between it and the seat, so I made a piece out of angled aluminum (15 bucks) that fills in the gap nicely and adds a further custom touch. Speaking of the seat, I reshaped it to a flatter much more roomy contour that allows for hours of comfort, stock one had my butt going numb in 30 minutes. Lastly, replaced the "key breaking off waiting to happen" stock seat latch with a far easier to use pull cable.

Cosmetically, I liked what the previous owner had done with the paint and powder coated frame, so I chose to add some of my personal touches rather than a complete make over. I hadn't planned on replacing the stock side panels, but plans soon changed when I lost one on a long ride after the mounting tab broke off. After seeing the absurd replacement costs of even flawed stock panels, I decided it made more sense to pay $200 bucks and get the new much more durable carbon fiber counter parts. To tie in the look of the carbon fiber, I made my own carbon fiber vinyl graphics and purchased a carbon fiber triple clamp and gas cap cover. Did the black out treatment to the headlight shells and instruments. Adding to the unique look, I chose to go with blue (same color as the rear spring) rectangle Triumph logos for the tank.

Total money invested is now up to $3600 for a bike that functionally is a 2010 with a one of kind look. While keeping under $4k, items for the wish list include..contrast stitched seat cover, carbon seat cowl, and it's my ultimate dream to eventually paint the bike in Roulette green (favorite color ever!), can't say I've ever seen a post 07' in that color. Also, debating on eventually installing a fly screen.
    IMG_1101.JPGIMG_1123.JPGIMG_1118_LI.jpgIMG_1083.JPGIMG_1097.JPGIMG_1101.JPGIMG_1116.JPGIMG_1124.JPGIMG_1128.JPGIMG_1127.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bryanc123; 11-13-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver Speedy-Glez's Avatar
    Member #
    very nice speedy project ... i really dig the powdercoated frame

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy-Glez View Post
    very nice speedy project ... i really dig the powdercoated frame

Thanks. Nothing like a fun project bike to get your mind off the mid life blues. I think the gloss black frame really works well with the frame's organic lines, amazed their's not more Speeds out there with that. Surprised their's not more custom Speeds of varying degrees in general. I really can't think of another model from any manufacture over the last 10 years or so that has the kind of potential to look different as a Speed, none of the modern nakeds even come close. Nice also that you don't have to spend much money to do it either. I guess it's similar to the appeal of the cafe bike thing, except you've got something you can ride for more than 20 minutes and isn't like riding a 2/4!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    Good work Bryan....very unique bike.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello rnexussix's Avatar
    Member #
    Great looking bike !

Member #
    Ever since buying my current Speed, it's been my goal to eventually paint it in a unique Roulette Green scheme. I've always felt it would look cool with the gloss black frame; in addition, I can't say I've ever seen any 08-10/11 in the color. Went through Touch Up direct for the high end water based paints which consisted of two spray cans of Roullete Green, two cans of fusion white for the base coat, and two cans of clear coat, $150 total. While not perfect, overall I'm pretty happy with the end result. The bullet hole stickers weren't the original intent, but unfortunately a spot of glazing putty ended up showing through pretty bad on the side of the tank. I wasn't crazy about putting stickers on what was originally meant to be a totally painted look other than the Triumph logos, after clear coating over them for a more professional look, I can at least live with it. Kinda goes along with the whole hooligan thing in way, small wonder I don't have any real ones with all the gun carrying hicks around here.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bryanc123; 07-31-2018 at 11:18 PM.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Blackout's Avatar
    Member #
    I like it.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello rnexussix's Avatar
    Member #
    The open sprocket "guard", scares me, but other ways, good looking speedy !

Member #
    Thanks guys. I know the open sprocket thing isn't the safest thing. Ever since putting on the new chain and sprockets I have liked the exposed look that shows everything off; in addition, I hate the the stock plastic guard. Would sometime like to pick up a trick looking billet guard that still leaves things exposed a bit. To me, it seems like more of a danger in the event of a crash where you leg is possibly caught underneath the bike. Ridding, I have a hard time imagining anything getting in there since I ride on the balls of my feet all the time, especially since I don't wear bell bottoms.

I'd like to give a shout out to Touch Up Direct for their amazing service. The first time around, the base coat can they sent me was defective, sprayed on like wall texture. Was slightly apprehensive about getting them to give me a replacement without sending back the can. No need to worry though, called them up and was without any questions sent a new can which was great, but what sent it over the top for me was the fact I was also sent a new can of Roulette green AND a can of clear coat free of charge. If you decide to paint your bike, I highly recommend them.
    Last edited by Bryanc123; 08-02-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Engine Demolition Xpert AdvCole's Avatar
    Member #
    wow, that gloss black frame.

swingarm next?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links