New owner

Thread: New owner

Member #
    Hey yall! Excited to be an owner of an 06 speed triple in the gorgeous roulette green (open to trading with someone with blue plastics hmu if interested) and I'm in love with the torque and buzz this engine has! I used to have a 1983 honda magna v45 but it was time for an upgrade. I got the bike with 20k miles and in extremely good shape. As a new owner under 2 weeks I'm still getting comfortable with what this bike has to offer. One of those things is if the bike is cold warming up, or at rolling idle, something near the top of the engine pops. It's the kind of noise made by pressing your tongue to the roof of your mouth and blowing. A sharp quick TSSS. And what's odd is its irregular timing in the pops. Its comes in at low speeds and low rpm. Used fuel system cleaner in it and seemed to get better, but still persists. Going to replace the plugs (can yall tell me gap measurement) and check air filter even though dealer told me it was replaced but it never hurts to look. I was poking around the engine bay and found the brass nozzle looking thing in the attatched photo. It's in the center of the screen. But it looks as if theres a bracket for something missing? Also the stock exhaust is decently loud and I have found 2 holes on the underside that I can feel exhaust gas, 1 on each side and have no idea if that's from facotry. Any help is appreciated and thank you guys for bearing with me and my troubles!! Ride safe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 006speedy; 11-17-2018 at 02:58 AM.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello 2doggs's Avatar
    Member #

New owner

For the popping, I suggest checking the header nuts to make sure they are snug. It’s a common issue for those to loosen over time. If you remove the header, it is highly recommended to have new gaskets before reinstalling. There is a tightening sequence to those nuts as well. You should follow that sequence and torque specs specified in the service manual. Someone here should be able to provide a link to a service manual for your year. BUT, you should do a search on this site first then post a new thread asking for a link if the search comes up empty. Finally, someone smarter than me will most likely chime in and let you know what the brass nozzle thing is. You’ll probably get more tips and info on your popping issue as well. Welcome to the mad house.

Did it ever have an aftermarket exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by m4ppy
    I have always ridden Aprilias and Ducati bikes, but after years of failing electrics and parts failing off I moved over to Triumph.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 2doggs View Post
    For the popping, I suggest checking the header nuts to make sure they are snug. It’s a common issue for those to loosen over time. If you remove the header, it is highly recommended to have new gaskets before reinstalling. Finally, someone smarter than me will most likely chime in and let you know what the brass nozzle thing is. You’ll probably get more tips and info on your popping issue as well. Welcome to the mad house.

Did it ever have an aftermarket exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will definitly check the header bolts and search for the owners manual, thank you. And I'm glad to be a part of this madhouse! I dont think it was ever fitted with aftermarket exhaust, but I know someone has fiddled with this before because it has the 2 wire mod to stop the alarm and save the battery but that's all that's visible

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    So I figured out the popping is coming from the nozzle in the photo. A small flame shoots out. Safe to say I'm not riding it till I figure out the problem

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    I have a 2010 and an 04 model. Neither of my bikes have this nozzle. Mine are both Australian bikes so possibly this has something to do with SAI (secondary air injection - not fitted on Australian bikes). Is there an unattached vacuum hose hanging about in there somewhere?
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie. View Post
    I have a 2010 and an 04 model. Neither of my bikes have this nozzle. Mine are both Australian bikes so possibly this has something to do with SAI (secondary air injection - not fitted on Australian bikes). Is there an unattached vacuum hose hanging about in there somewhere?
    Looked for loose vacuum hoses and found none. But what I did find was a rubber cap laying in the engine bay, extremely similar to those found on 3 protrusions from the engine. Figured it popped off the middle one where the flame was coming out so I put it back on and secured it with wire. Photos included. Started up and ran perfect for the 5+ minutes I had it running. Still confused on what the "basket" is for. And again thank you guys for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 006speedy; 11-19-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Sponsored Links