Help! 05 Speed Triple won't start - (VIDEO)
    Member #

Exclamation Help! 05 Speed Triple won't start - (VIDEO)

Really struggling with this now, nobody has been able to diagnose - inc. a garage that stripped a lot of the bike...

It had been struggling to start for a while, and then wouldn't start at all.

I charged the battery before this video. I have also tried to start the bike connected to my car, but nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    There is not enough juice in that battery to start her and if you keep trying you will bugger the sprag.
    You need a new battery and probably a new stator and RR.
    Read Sparti’s excellent sticky Stator fix-the final solution in the how to forum section.
    Good luck.
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

Member #
    Thanks. So my first port of call should be to purchase a new battery? Wouldn't it have started connected to my car though if it was just a battery issue?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver Speedy-Glez's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Simms92 View Post
    Thanks. So my first port of call should be to purchase a new battery? Wouldn't it have started connected to my car though if it was just a battery issue?
    these bikes are electrically finicky, therefore a good battery that has strong CCA's is a must. Even though your battery might show on a charger that is good if it is on its way out it will loose the CCA's which is what the Speed Triple requires to get that engine to start. I went through the exact same issue before, one morning i went to start the bike and nothing ... charged the battery, showed as charged and no juice just a plshss then try to jump it with my trucks battery (using cables) and nothing same plshss. took off the bike and put it on a charger ... shows up as charged after a day on the charger. Got it back on the bike and attempt to start and nothing again ... now i was thinking just like you something else then. Well after some research i learned that batteries loose their initial strength (CCA's) after a while and don't perform as they should specially in cold starts. i then purchased a new battery with better CCA's and install it and on the first try.. voila she is back on the road. that was my experience. hope it helps ... maybe try another bikes battery before buying a new one but from experience my Speed likes a strong start up ..now my bike is on a charger all the time she is in the garage

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    as stated above the battery is weak. DO NOT CRANK IT WITH A WEAK BATTERY. You will fry the sprag, or shear teeth off the starter or idler gear. Buy a quality SLA battery with comparable or higher CCA, or even better a Shorai 18.

again I can not stress how important it is to NOT CRANK IT WITH A WEAK BATTERY. If there is any lope at all to the cranking tempo, you can easily do $600 plus in damage, and you will be sad, and the bike will be sad, and nobody wants that.

there is a laundry list of items to check/upgrade on the '05, but start with a new battery, and we'll go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello 2doggs's Avatar
    Member #
    If it ends up being the battery, I would suggest never returning to the garage that tore into the bike to find the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by m4ppy
    I have always ridden Aprilias and Ducati bikes, but after years of failing electrics and parts failing off I moved over to Triumph.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello limey's Avatar
    Member #
    I thought devious closed his shop
    Illegal aliens..............committing the rapes and murders Americans won't do.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello 2doggs's Avatar
    Member #

Help! 05 Speed Triple won't start - (VIDEO)

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    I thought devious closed his shop
    Originally Posted by m4ppy
    I have always ridden Aprilias and Ducati bikes, but after years of failing electrics and parts failing off I moved over to Triumph.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    If it's just the battery then it SHOULD crank just fine when you are jumping off a truck battery. I'd look at all the connections. Just a loose connection or a little corrosion is all it takes to do that.

Sponsored Links