Tips for making the most of the stock suspension that might be worth a try.
    Member #

Tips for making the most of the stock suspension that might be worth a try.

Although I'm certainly no suspension guru, I've been fortunate enough to have gained a great deal of suspension setup experience roadracing at a regional/national level for 8 years. I've also logged about 40k miles between the two Speed Triples I've owned and have experimented with countless suspension setting combinations on a wide variety of roads. I believe I've finally arrived at a setup that's about as good of a compromise over a wide variety of bumps as it's gonna get. If you've been struggling with the stock suspension and like to ride aggressively on a lot on bumpy roads, these settings might be worth a shot. While it's certainly no Ohlins or Traxxion, I can attack all but the most bumpy roads with confidence down to nearly full lean (it's the street after all ).

Starting with the front, I'm running about 28mm of sag (almost race track stiff). This is about 3mm more than I run in the rear to allow for a slight bit more weight transfer onto the front while trail braking, sharpens geometry slightly and gives the front a more planted feel. To compensate for the stock compression damping limitations, I'm running 15wt oil (stock level) on the compression side with the compression knob turned all the way in (full damping). This setting handles the sharp hits far better than anything else I've tried while being reasonably compliant over the small stuff. On the rebound side, I'm using 10wt oil (stock level) with the knob turned all the way out (least damping) in order to keep the suspension from packing down over a series of bumps.

At the rear, I'm running 25mm of sag which is right about where a track bike would be at. I've got the compression damping set much softer than the front with only one turn inward out of an available 5 turns. Makes for a reasonably compliant ride while keeping the rear tire in contact with the road over sharp mid corner bumps. In order to keep the shock from packing down over bumps from the compression being so soft, the rebound knob is turned all the way out at it's quickest setting.

Like I said, It's certainly never going to be at the level of compliance or control of a good aftermarket suspension, but it can be made to do the job reasonably well, probably better than most would think. It also doesn't cost anything outside the 30 bucks for fork oil!
    Last edited by Bryanc123; 04-03-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Member #
    I could have done with this post about 3 months ago, although I'm not an aggressive rider, my set up was still causing a few issues. After being fed up with the harsh ride and that feeling on my spine trying to leave my body every time I went over the slightest bump, I had my suspension set up by Julian (Motorcycle Guru, Nerang). Took him about an hour, best thing I ever spent money on, it feels like a new bike. Don't know if I will spend out on any new fancy suspension systems, I am happy with the S3's handling and quality of ride. I have more confidence going into corners, the bike actually holding the line and turns and stops without issue. Be good to know if anyone uses your settings.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottdog View Post
    I could have done with this post about 3 months ago, although I'm not an aggressive rider, my set up was still causing a few issues. After being fed up with the harsh ride and that feeling on my spine trying to leave my body every time I went over the slightest bump, I had my suspension set up by Julian (Motorcycle Guru, Nerang). Took him about an hour, best thing I ever spent money on, it feels like a new bike. Don't know if I will spend out on any new fancy suspension systems, I am happy with the S3's handling and quality of ride. I have more confidence going into corners, the bike actually holding the line and turns and stops without issue. Be good to know if anyone uses your settings.
    Nothing like the feeling of having your machine be transformed, especially when you're not having to fork over a $1,000+ to make it happen. While theirs still something to be said for having that super controlled plush yet firm feeling that you get with high grade suspension, I would venture to guess that many might not have gone that route if they knew what the stock suspension could be made to do. I'm fairly content to just hang onto what little money I have and spend it on frame/case sliders and tires.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    I just got finished with a 2hr ride after using your settings. How much do you weigh? because I'm 205lbs, and your settings are complete sh!t. My bike has never handled this bad.
    I hate you for convincing me to try these, and I'm switching back to my old setting immediately. Thanks for nothing you provocative kunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houle View Post
    I just got finished with a 2hr ride after using your settings. How much do you weigh? because I'm 205lbs, and your settings are complete sh!t. My bike has never handled this bad.
    I hate you for convincing me to try these, and I'm switching back to my old setting immediately. Thanks for nothing you provocative kunt.

I should have known you of all people would try to hurt my feelins' and burst my wanna bee suspension expert bubble! I weigh about 185. I could see stiffer preload possibly changing what damping settings work. Did you change the fork oil weight? Wait a second, aren't you running Traxxion fork internals and a Penske shock? That might could have a slight effect on where the settings work best at.

Member #
    I was just about to look into suspension settings for my bike so I'm glad I found this post. Should I change anything from your suggested settings for myself as Im about 170lbs?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bvachon View Post
    I was just about to look into suspension settings for my bike so I'm glad I found this post. Should I change anything from your suggested settings for myself as Im about 170lbs?
    As long as you have the sag settings the same and change the preload accordingly, you're weight shouldn't make too much of a difference on all the damping settings. In the front especially, the changes I've made help a lot in working around the stock damping/valving deficiencies. It's the only way I've found to get it to handle the sharp hits while working reasonably well everywhere else. You definitely will want a helping hand in order to get you're rear sag measurement, front can just be done with a zip tie around the slider.
    Last edited by Bryanc123; 04-11-2019 at 11:57 AM.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    I should have known you of all people would try to hurt my feelins'
    This is TS3.com, there are certain protocols.
    It would not have been appropriate for me to post "thanks for writing this up, should be helpful as a starting point for other guys, just for reference how much do you weigh?"

Also go watch SUSPENSION FOR MORTALS, good videos..
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    One thing about Joe....he always follows the protocols!
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

Member #
    As long as you have the sag settings the same and change the preload accordingly, you're weight shouldn't make too much of a difference on all the damping settings. In the front especially, the changes I've made help a lot in working around the stock damping/valving deficiencies. It's the only way I've found to get it to handle the sharp hits while working reasonably well everywhere else. You definitely will want a helping hand in order to get you're rear sag measurement, front can just be done with a zip tie around the slider.
    Great info to know. Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored Links