Rough idle after changing spark plugs
    Member #

Rough idle after changing spark plugs

I just changed out the spark plugs, not too sure the mileage on the plugs but I bought the bike recently and it now has 72k miles. I pulled out ngk cr9ek plugs from the bike and reinstalled the recommended ngk cr8eix iridium plugs. I attached the gas tank and hoses back on and fired it up and it was idling just fine. Turned it off and then tightened and bolted everything down, wheeled it out to the front of my driveway and tried to start it but it wasn't wanting to start. I had to give it a lot of throttle and then it would die if I let off. I turned off the ignition and then back on and it started right up fine idling at 1k rpm. I heard a slight tapping/ticking coming from the engine that I didnt remember hearing from before. I rode the bike across the street and rode around in just first gear and it seemed to be engine braking harder than normal. I brought the bike back in and parked it, started it up again and now it sounded like it was only running on 2 cylinders and idling at about 500-700 rpm. Turned it off and then back on and it seemed to be idling fine this time but still with the ticking/tapping noise. On my days off I'm going to recheck all connections again and if it still persists I will switch back to the old spark plugs to see if that fixes it. Any ideas of whats going on, did i install the wrong spark plug? Does the engine just need time to sit and run with the new spark plugs??

Thank You

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Night Train's Avatar
    Member #
    It could all be coincidental. But, a few things come to mind. It could be that the coils are not in the best shape and thus need replacing. I'd check for that. I

It could also be that the bike needs to be balanced. If the throttles are not balanced it will run rough. You can find out if you use Tune ECU to determine whether they are off balance. You can research the forum for more information.

The spark plugs used shouldn't be the problem unless one was defective. I've used both ranges in my bike and was ok.

I'd make sure that the plugs are properly gapped, properly torched and that the coils are good and properly seated.

After all that I'd suggest resetting adaptives or doing the 12 minute tune.

Also, you should update your profile to list the year of your bike and list it when posting for advice. Some of the above may not pertain to your bike year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Ride with confidence. Not your ego.
    "on a more serious note, how come reporters in Alabama don't speak with a "twang" and say stuff like "y'all see wut that there foo' done?" " Teemstah

"I have determined that all women are soul leeches..." Crashmasterd 2012

"Hey, for some reason I pictured you on a bigger bike!" Said all too often

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    It is possible that a gerbil has snuck into your cylinder via an empty spark plug hole while you were replenishing your liquid refreshment during workshop hours.
    This has happened to Crash on a number of occasions but he does have the little ****ers on hand and more polo neck jumpers than Richard Geer.

I reckon you have a loose connection somewhere.
    It could be a buggered plug(see above comments re Crash and Richard) but it is far more likely that a lead or coil has been pushed out of place while reinstalling the tank or some other component.
    Stay in touch. XXX
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    I love that fukced has been censored but not buggered.
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello 2doggs's Avatar
    Member #
    Any joke involving crashes butthole and gerbils is a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by m4ppy
    I have always ridden Aprilias and Ducati bikes, but after years of failing electrics and parts failing off I moved over to Triumph.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    You didn't mention the year but given the miles I'll assume it's over 10 years old. I'd do the above and double check the idle air control hoses and the MAP sensor hoses. A small crack in them can mess up idle. You can crack a propane torch open and move the nozzle around the hoses. If the idle picks up, you found a culprit. I also never do all that starting and stopping. If I start it I make sure it gets up to temp before shutting down.

Member #
    I did the 12 minute tune and then let it sit over night. I was riding it around today and it seems to be running fine. I guess the bike just had to adjust to the new spark plugs. Or maybe its because I changed the spark plugs when the gas light was on and after I filled it up full. Anyways thanks for the suggestion of the 12 minute tune.

Sponsored Links