Scored fork sliders
    Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver thefleshrocket's Avatar
    Member #

Scored fork sliders

I pulled my forks to replace a slightly weepy seal on the right side (compression) tube. I decided to do both tubes because if I've got them off the bike, I might as well. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the sliders on both sides have vertical scoring. It's mostly just visual, though I can slightly feel a few of them with my fingernail. Even more odd is that on the right side slider, there are a bunch of tiny pits that are above the area that's exposed. The pits look like the slider was hit by a bunch of tiny rocks, but obviously that's impossible since that area isn't exposed. I have no idea how that happened.

The bike is an '05 with ~15K miles on it (I should check the odo to confirm). I pulled the fork around 10K miles to change out the fluid. I didn't totally disassemble the tubes, I just took them apart enough to get the springs out and turn them upside down to let them drain.

I had the same kind of vertical scoring on my Buell 1125R. I replaced the slider, and the new one got scored as well. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the bushing inside of the tube was damaged and was tearing up the slider. I replaced the entire upper (since I couldn't figure out how to get out the bushing) and the lower, and after reassembly, it's been fine.

I damaged the bushings (both on the slider and inside the tube) when taking apart the right side fork tube while changing out the seal and have ordered new parts, but this is the first time I've had the tube apart this far. So, I'm trying to figure out why the siders are getting scored, and where all of the little gouges came from one the right side slider.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this for good. Even though the bushings appear to be good on the left side tube, I'm guessing that they must be responsible for the scoring on that slider. I THINK that the gouges on the right side slider are above the seal so hopefully not what caused it to leak, but not sure. Can these sliders be resurface? I checked and new sliders are $400-$500 each, so not a cost-effective solution. I am half tempted to just put it back together (with new bushings on the right side tube) and just see when it starts leaking again.

Last edited by thefleshrocket; 12-04-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    '08 1125R, '99 VFR800, '91CBR600F2, '03 DR-Z400E, '05 Speed Triple

Got tired of ridiculously long signatures, so I turned them off.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    Hey Fleshy,

Good to see you back around.

Do you wash the forks when you wash Speedy?

My assumption would be potential surface contaminants of dust and hardened dirt may have contributed to foek seal wear.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    Hard to tell from a photo but that looks bad enough to cause a leak to me. Do you wash with a high pressure wand at a car wash? Those have killed a huge number of wheel bearings and forks because they will blast the grit into the bearings, not just wash it off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    Hard to tell from a photo but that looks bad enough to cause a leak to me. Do you wash with a high pressure wand at a car wash? Those have killed a huge number of wheel bearings and forks because they will blast the grit into the bearings, not just wash it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Santa 1050 View Post
    Hey Fleshy,
    Good to see you back around.
    Do you wash the forks when you wash Speedy?
    My assumption would be potential surface contaminants of dust and hardened dirt may have contributed to foek seal wear.
    Thanks, Santa. I lurk, just haven't been very active.

When I wash Speedy, it's with a garden hose and a microfiber cloth. Nothing like a pressure washer, and honestly, the bike never really gets very dirty because don't ride in the rain unless by accident.

Any ideas on how to fix the scoring? I've seen people post that super glue could be used to fill the scratches.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    Give these guys a call. Good dudes working here and they will offer solid advice..
    https://traxxion.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    Only way to really fix them is grind, replate & finish grind. Probably cost as much as new tubes. Super glue might work in a pinch on a road trip but I can't believe it would last any amount of time.

Member #
    I emailed to Traxxion.

Are there any other bikes whose fork parts interchange with the '05-'09 S3s? Maybe one that's more common so I can find cheaper replacement sliders.

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    These guys are the only folks I know that do a decent job.
    Freight might be your only problem but contact them to check.
    https://www.radhardchroming.com.au/m...econditioning/
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AA View Post
    These guys are the only folks I know that do a decent job.
    Freight might be your only problem but contact them to check.
    https://www.radhardchroming.com.au/m...econditioning/
    Holy shit, yeah.. shipping to the southern hemisphere would be a killer!

Traxxion replied to me--it's $50 per slider to polish them (if I send in the already-disassembled sliders). They think that polishing will probably do the trick. If not, they can get new sliders themselves for $183 each, plus labor to mount them onto the lowers. Fingers crossed that them polishing the sliders does the trick.

Sponsored Links