Help, won't crank, when it does crank it doesn't crank long.
    Member #

Help, won't crank, when it does crank it doesn't crank long.

When I pull in the clutch lever and go to start the bike it does nothing. So I hit the button a few more times and then it cranks, for a couple of seconds, then nothing. So I continue to press on and off and nothing. Then it cranks for a second or two then nothing. It does this even when the battery charger is giving it 20 and 40 amps.

Does this sound like a bad starter switch? Bad Clutch switch? Bad battery? Got anything that I should check?

Member #
    Easiest would be a fresh battery before trying to trace further culprits

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1kk8 View Post
    Easiest would be a fresh battery before trying to trace further culprits

I tend to agree but it is doing this while on a charger. So although I may need a new battery, if a battery was at fault then it wouldn't do this while receiving 40 amps of power from a charger. I may be wrong. Your thoughts?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    40 amps is probably not enough to get it to crank. I'd jump it off a strong car battery if possible. Note that cranking with a weak battery is a good way to break the sprag clutch on the starter.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    40 amps is probably not enough to get it to crank. I'd jump it off a strong car battery if possible. Note that cranking with a weak battery is a good way to break the sprag clutch on the starter.

I'll go buy a new battery and see if that helps.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    clean the clutch safety switch, inspect the wiring harness directly behind the ignition switch, and where it runs under the retaining clamp on the right side of the headstock.
    You are looking for damaged wires. Hold starter button, and turn bars back and forth, wiggle harness behind ignition switch..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    If it is intermittent, try it with the clutch lever in slightly different positions. I had a similar problem once and it turned out that the clutch switch was dirty/corroded. After cleaning the switch it was all good again.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
    I'll go buy a new battery and see if that helps.
    New battery and I was wiggling the clutch switch wire and it works great. Thank you for the help.

Sponsored Links