80 mile ride ...with the battery going flat !
    Member #

80 mile ride ...with the battery going flat !

I had a really bad day on my 2006 Speedy recently.I bought it 2 years ago with less than 9000 miles on the clock.I was aware of the charging issues on the early bikes but as I bought a Street Triple brand new in 2009 which have similar issues (Now on it's 4th stator after 46000 miles) I was not concerned...both bikes have Gammatronix battery voltage warning lights fitted.Anyway I set out on the hottest day of the year for a rideout to North Wales.I live in New Brighton on the Wirral Peninsula.I had just gone past Capel Curig on the way to Beddgelert when there was a sudden storm of Biblical proportions!It went dark,a huge wind sprang from nowhere and the rain sheeted down so heavily I was soaked to the skin in minutes.There was not a break in the clouds and I was thoroughly miserable when things suddenly got a whole lot worse.The battery warning light began to flash!It was not charging and suspected the dreaded stator failure was upon me.The bike had now done 20,000 miles so it was probably well overdue.I wondered how long the bike would run on the Motobatt battery and was expecting it to start playing up at any minute.If I had broken down in that part of Wales I was in trouble as there is no mobile signal available.So my plan was to get away from the mountains so at least I would be able to phone Green Flag breakdown.So I headed for the coast and about 15 miles further on the weather became quite pleasant.That cheered me up and I needed petrol and luckily had my spare key on me so I could refuel without stopping the engine.I did not think it would start again and it would surely drain the last few volts from the battery.The plan was to get as far as I could then ring Green Flag as I was sure the bike would start to falter.But it didn't ! I got all the way home ...about 80 miles.I immediately checked the battery voltage.11.4 volts.And the bike was still flying.Anyway the next day I planned to check the stator and discovered the connector between the stator wire and the RR wire had melted and the wires were burnt!I had a look at the stator and it was still working according to the multimeter but 6 or 7 coils were badly charred and it stank of burning.So I replaced it with one from Electrex World and wired it straight to the RR.Incidentally I had replaced the stock RR with a Shindengen.I had checked the stator about a year ago and the coils looked fine.I have heated grips and I always have them turned on winter and summer!Ihad an idea that the current they draw may may not be shunted back to the stator and would keep it cooler.But the ring terminal off the positive wire had snapped off a few months ago and I left it disconnected.So I am wondering if that had an effect on the stator.Anyway I am looking to upgrade the alternator and cover as recommended.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Night Train's Avatar
    Member #
    Quite an adventure and fortunately you made it home! Glad that you made it!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Ride with confidence. Not your ego.
    "on a more serious note, how come reporters in Alabama don't speak with a "twang" and say stuff like "y'all see wut that there foo' done?" " Teemstah

"I have determined that all women are soul leeches..." Crashmasterd 2012

"Hey, for some reason I pictured you on a bigger bike!" Said all too often

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Avi8or's Avatar
    Member #
    I think Electrex World have updated their S3 stators. Mine has lasted way beyond what one would hope for. However it's mated to a Compufire RR and wired direct to battery. Am a happy camper.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Not to brag or anything but I did 2000 miles with a dead stator. Got my battery swaps down to about 4-1/2 minutes.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    Not to brag or anything but I did 2000 miles with a dead stator. Got my battery swaps down to about 4-1/2 minutes.
    not to forget the 1500km you did with a half dead stator in Outback Australia!
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello BUCKET's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie. View Post
    not to forget the 1500km you did with a half dead stator in Outback Australia!
    F#*k to the yeah!
    I like shiny things.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Night Train's Avatar
    Member #
    I have a soup bone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Night Train; 09-04-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    Ride with confidence. Not your ego.
    "on a more serious note, how come reporters in Alabama don't speak with a "twang" and say stuff like "y'all see wut that there foo' done?" " Teemstah

"I have determined that all women are soul leeches..." Crashmasterd 2012

"Hey, for some reason I pictured you on a bigger bike!" Said all too often

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    While modifying wheels with swimming pool sized potholes.
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AA View Post
    While modifying wheels with swimming pool sized potholes.
    Stuff happened over there, fo sho.

Sponsored Links