2016 speed triple s leak
    Member #

2016 speed triple s leak

Hi all,
    Got this 2016 bike purchased in 2018 now at 12k miles. I have done my own maintenance except for the initial 500 mile service.

For context, I just a few days ago replaced spark plugs and the air filter. Had a bit of oil residue on all three throttle bodies which I cleaned, the spark plugs looked fine, still good, and oil free.

I have this oil leak that has developed quite recently, worse on the left side of the bike all over the front of the engine and right under/around (?) the three exhaust heads. When I turn the bike on and let it warm up to fan kick in I see no leaks until it's off then the seep is quite clear and obvious. I suspect it's coming worse from one spot and pools/rises once I ride but wanted to get some opinions on what is actually leaking, best way to proceed to solve the issue. Is it my head gasket? Feels bad that it's such a new engine and already leaking. Thanks for all the advice.

EDIT: fixed images
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChillRider; 11-15-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Member #
    Have you checked to see if the head bolts are torqued to spec?
    Note: Not to be confused with the head to upper crankcase screws @ 10 Nm.

At 12k. It time for a substantial servicing anyways and a perfect opportunity to insure are things are within spec.
    Last edited by chaos; 11-16-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Member #
    Thanks for your reply! Yes I've been keeping up with all the scheduled maintenance and I have that sheet to keep track.

I'm still fairly new to wrenching but from what I know and read I thought the head bolts are a one time deal these days? They get torqued to spec then another 90 degrees, I just can't imagine what trying to tighten them down further will do. Am I misunderstanding the location of these?

When I was at the spark plugs how much lower do I need to dig to get to these bolts? Also, if the head gasket (if this is what's leaking?) is shot how will tightening the bolts help?

I appreciate your time trying to help, not trying to be rude. Just having a hard time understanding the whole picture of this problem and how to solve it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    if your head gasket is leaking, it is very unlikely that tightening the head bolts will achieve anything...and overtightening them is not advisable.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

Member #
    "Torqued to spec" does not imply overtightening.
    As Chewie has already mentioned. "Overtightening is not advisable". It could lead to a warped head, if its not warped already.

The Cylinder Head bolts are found under the cams.
    The big picture is rather Grand, especially if your new to wrenching. The Service Manual (Chapter 3) will give you a pretty good understanding of the scope of things.

If you are certain the leak is coming from the head gasket, and not making its way around and down from the valve cover gasket.
    I would then suggest you trailer it to a shop and have them address that leak along with performing the B service.
    Last edited by chaos; 11-18-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Sponsored Links