2002 Speed trouble starting
    Member #

2002 Speed trouble starting

Hi all. First time posting- not sure if this is a common fault or not. When my bike starts, it starts fine but sometimes it’ll take 3 times to start. During these times, all acc will turn on including the pump, but the engine will not even kick. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Do these bikes have issues with starter motors?

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello 2doggs's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddieF View Post
    Hi all. First time posting- not sure if this is a common fault or not. When my bike starts, it starts fine but sometimes it’ll take 3 times to start. During these times, all acc will turn on including the pump, but the engine will not even kick. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Do these bikes have issues with starter motors?
    A good place to start is the side stand safety switch. Give it a good cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by m4ppy
    I have always ridden Aprilias and Ducati bikes, but after years of failing electrics and parts failing off I moved over to Triumph.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    You should also consider the clutch switch. On the real early model Speed Triples the switch could be disassembled and cleaned. On my 96 there was corrosion in the switch contacts. I cleaned it with a Qtip and brake cleaner and that fixed it.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

Sponsored Links