Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

No horn , indicators or brake light

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  crashmasterd 
#1 ·
All the above stopped working yesterday. Checked fuses and they all seem ok. When i press the horn button it makes the rear taillights cutout until you release it and there is also a clicking noise from one of the relays. Help needed where to start, Ive heard about the wire near the headstock and about ignition switch but I'm not really that clever with electrics, so any advice needs to be idiot proof :crazy:
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Go to youtube and search for how to trouble shoot wiring harness breaks. Go to harbor freight or ebay and buy a cheap multimeter.

It could be anything from a worn spot on the harness, an unseated connector, a melted circuit, etc.

You just have to meticulously go through the harness checking for power and continuity until you find it.

#3 ·
Go to harbor freight or ebay and buy a cheap multimeter.
I disagree here. I've been through three or four cheap Harbor Freight multimeters. They're junk. Go to Home Despot or Lowes and buy a middle-of-the price range model. You'll be much better off.

I got this one for under $30 at Home Despot and it's been trouble free.

#6 ·
No, the cheap multimeters are the $7 specials at Harbor Freight. Guaranteed to last at least one test poke.

$300 is what I would buy if I used it on a daily basis. For my once a year use $30 is middle of the road. I thought about stepping up and buying the $60 model, but decided not to bother.

#5 ·
My 07 had the exact same symptoms, I checked everything, all fuses, pulled apart every connector and cleaned them all.
A quick search and on the web and Bingo!!! I bet it'll be the harness where it goes under the bracket on the right side
of the frame, just back from the steering head.
When I unwrapped the harness there were wires cracked and broken. Pretty easy fix just replaced the loom with trailer cable from
your favourite auto store from the connector just under the tank to the ignition. Its a bit fiddly but cheap and mines been fine
ever since, at least twelve months. A quick way to check if this is the issue is start her up and while turning the bars left and right
see if the horn, indicators or brake light work intermittently, this is how I confirmed it was the issue on mine.:big smile:

#8 ·
Here 'Downunder' we use the mighty test light and if that fails, Burn the F#*N thing!!!:big smile:
I thought "downunder" you had to fight the spiders and the snakes before you could crash your bike into a roo?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.