Very Low Idle and Stalling when Pulling the clutch in while coasting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member #
    Are any of these symptoms due to the stator being bad? The bike will run perfectly fine when I am on the throttle keeping to rpms up but not when I am off the throttle or when its idling. It will die.

When it's cold, the bike wont idle at all. After I ride it for a while and its warm, the bike will hold the idle at 500-700 rpm for a little bit and then die.

How can I test the stator? Is it easy to replace

Thanks!!

Member #
    There is plenty of information on checking stators and reg/recs on the interweb, just do a search, I had problems in that area last year on my ‘10 which I traced back to a reg/rec but I would say that most likely is not your problem.
    It has very low mileage for a 22 year old machine so it’s probably sat around for long periods with old fuel which is going to clog up the injectors with a varnish like substance. A few tankfuls with a good injector cleaner added is going to be a good place to start, I use one by Wurth which seems to do the job. It will benefit from new plugs, filter, oil change and new brake fluid for sure. All easy to do, just get a manual. The airbox comes off with a few screws, there is one at the front buried behind cables/pipes which is a bit of a sod to get to. You’ll need a set of torx drivers. Then while everything is off, check vacuum hoses, stepper motor TPS.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by crashmasterd View Post
    Get the appropriate Lithium Iron Phosphate replacement battery and the appropriate charger. You won't regret it.

However that is almost certainly not your problem.
    I wouldn't spend the money a LI ion battery costs. Sure it saves weight but a good quality AGM battery will work just fine and cost a lot less. Yuasa makes great motorcycle batteries. But if the battery is charged enough to start the bike then it has nothing to do with your low idle and stalling.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by crashmasterd View Post
    Get the appropriate Lithium Iron Phosphate replacement battery and the appropriate charger. You won't regret it.

However that is almost certainly not your problem.
    I wouldn't spend the money a LI ion battery costs. Sure it saves weight but a good quality AGM battery will work just fine and cost a lot less. Yuasa makes great motorcycle batteries. But if the battery is charged enough to start the bike then it has nothing to do with your low idle and stalling.

Member #
    IM A NOOB!!!!! How do I even get the tank off? I removed the bolt under the seat and two side bolts but the tank wasnt budging. I also read that when you remove the tank, it tears some seals that cause it to leak?

Member #
    And for the filter, should I get a OEM paper element or can I run the [email protected] replacement filter? I plan on getting an exhaust too so will that coincide with the air filter?

Member #
    Best thing to do is first take the tail section off and get it out of the way so there’s no chance of it getting scratched or it scratching the tank. Easy task just screws and wiring connectors for tail light and indicators. Once that is off you can see on the right hand side of the tank, the fuel line connectors. Mark them up so you know which one goes where for refitting. They should be self sealing when disconnected. Also they should be metal not plastic, Triumph did a recall as the plastic ones get brittle and crack. Go carefully. There’s a breather hose which pulls off and the fuel level sender unit which disconnects. Remove the thermostat cover at the front of the tank and then you’ll see some rubber mounted bobbins either side, remove them. Tank should come off.

Member #
    Also, forget the go faster filters, the oe paper filters do their job better.

Member #
    I had the very same problem with my 97 T509 several years ago. My problem was dry rotted vacuum hoses. I replaced them and all has been well ever since.

Member #
    Are the vacuum lines a very complex thing to look at? Is there a diagram to go with it or is the setup pretty simple?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links