front fork leak...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

front fork leak...

I noticed last night that my left turn signal was dangling and also the front left fork was oily, actually had collected a little on the joint below, though not on the rotor.

Thought it best to try some DIY, so flicked the rubber seal down, then wiped behind it with a microfibre cloth and curved a business card round to try collect any grime/dirt stuck up there. Gave the fork a good clean and replaced the deal. This morning I didnt notice the same drip had been happening but a small film after the trip to work - nothing like yesterday. Will check again after ride home.

Couldnt see any cracks in the seal. When i got the bike a couple of months back it had done only 13k and not been ridden for a year or two. Could the seals have gone bad in some way, hardened and cracked through lack of use/lubrication?

Its been fine all day, as just peeked again.

havent got the tools/confidence to get the thing off myself, and keen to avoid having to pay a grease merchant 1-150ish labour I assume just to change a seal.

Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver Speedy-Glez's Avatar
    Member #
    do you wheelie? there is two parts to the fork prior to dissemble. the dust cover and the seal .... you can loosen the dust cover and slide it down the stanchion, i would do the same thing you did clean everything and I used electrical contact cleaner aerosol can to clean and wipe because it is pressurized and you can use the straw to reach in the crevices where the dust seal sits. clean everything real good and wipe clean with paper tower that does not leave pieces behind and do the trick you did with the card to clean the fork seal. Put some weight on the bars and compress the forks then repeat. If it is just grime and the fork seal still good (not cracked or ripped) there should not be any more oil coming out otherwise is time to change the seals. a little strip of cloth tied around the bottom of the fork stanchion will absorb the oil if its leaking a bit and you can ride it until you do the service. might take a few tries cleaning and compressing but you definitely need to service as your brakes could be compromised if oil gets in the rotor. When my seals needed service and sent them to racetech for a fork internal upgrade, some of the best money Ive spent on the bike.
    stay safe.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy-Glez View Post
    do you wheelie? there is two parts to the fork prior to dissemble. the dust cover and the seal .... you can loosen the dust cover and slide it down the stanchion, i would do the same thing you did clean everything and I used electrical contact cleaner aerosol can to clean and wipe because it is pressurized and you can use the straw to reach in the crevices where the dust seal sits. clean everything real good and wipe clean with paper tower that does not leave pieces behind and do the trick you did with the card to clean the fork seal. Put some weight on the bars and compress the forks then repeat. If it is just grime and the fork seal still good (not cracked or ripped) there should not be any more oil coming out otherwise is time to change the seals. a little strip of cloth tied around the bottom of the fork stanchion will absorb the oil if its leaking a bit and you can ride it until you do the service. might take a few tries cleaning and compressing but you definitely need to service as your brakes could be compromised if oil gets in the rotor. When my seals needed service and sent them to racetech for a fork internal upgrade, some of the best money Ive spent on the bike.
    stay safe.
    Thanks, Speedy...No monos here. Only had the bike a couple of months, was sitting for a fair while before that.

I found some WD40 before heading for slumber in this bastard heat thats come and will go again, typical melbourne spring...was also going to pick up that rhino tool, maybe a bit safer/cleaner a job than my pieces of paper card. And this can be sprayed under the stanction section where the dust seal was sitting?

Wasnt sure if I needed to also try pull down not just the large rubber dust seal but the small rubber ring (the seal itself) from up there somehow? That seems to be staying up above, yet without it, I assume there is nothing to stop the fork oil flowing down?

Thanks fo the help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    Use an actual "Seal Doctor" before you nick the seal and fuk it up. Clean it up as best you can, and WD40 on the Seal Doctor prior to sweeping the seal, and only remove the dust seal, DO NOT attempt to remove the seal above that to avoid sadness
    clean the tube as best you can, leave it bone dry. The seals may have dried a little from sitting, working the suspension may bring them back. I wouldn't call the seal "bad" until you have cleaned/ran the bike atleast 3 intervals
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello BUCKET's Avatar
    Member #
    Zip tie some panty liners around your fork tubes , works a treat .
    I like shiny things.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houle View Post
    Use an actual "Seal Doctor" before you nick the seal and fuk it up. Clean it up as best you can, and WD40 on the Seal Doctor prior to sweeping the seal, and only remove the dust seal, DO NOT attempt to remove the seal above that to avoid sadness
    clean the tube as best you can, leave it bone dry. The seals may have dried a little from sitting, working the suspension may bring them back. I wouldn't call the seal "bad" until you have cleaned/ran the bike atleast 3 intervals
    Hopefully haven't fuked it up already, Joe! Though given I watched an aussie chap on youtube using the sealmate (bought one today), I was likely doing nothing at all with a flimsy business carboard I was pushing up against the rim when up towards the oil seal. The video showed the seal mate digging in next to the oil seal I think. Will follow your advice and have a decent go at the thorough, careful clean tomorrow. Thanks for the guidance.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello 2doggs's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BUCKET View Post
    Zip tie some panty liners around your fork tubes , works a treat .
    This man is correct. I’ve seen it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by m4ppy
    I have always ridden Aprilias and Ducati bikes, but after years of failing electrics and parts failing off I moved over to Triumph.

Member #
    Worst of the leak yesterday>

Picked up a seal mate. Was not at all convinced it would do the trick, but why not roll the dice for 12 bucks. Whilst I caused a small tear in the dust seal getting the thing off, I did manage to spray up a load of wd40 towards the oil seal, then found the seal mate plastic lodging in where intended. Went round the fork firmly several rotations, each time wiping off and at first finding some very small but noticeable bits of dirt in the oil. Once I seemed to be getting only clean oil, I cleaned up and dust seal back on, pumped the forks a few times and rode. Kept thinking more oil was coming but then realised that it was the seals going down the forks, as no oil residue was left>>>

Ill go for a more thorough ride tomorrow. Seems too good to be true that a leak which seemed severe and two mechanics said 'been sitting eh? rubber is likely cracked, needs a new seal, 170 per fork' and I was already arranging for a 340 for both done job. Still expect the problem to resurface. Yet this video was what I watched before>>

Should I be worried about the fork oil that dripped out, in terms of less oil in that fork now? Was just 2 days where there was a leak.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    Don’t worry about the oil. Often the seals leak because there is road grime, a chunk of dead bug, etc, stuck under the seal preventing it from sealing against the fork. The seals are tough. Even if it leaks again, just repeat the clean and ride 2 more times before you accept the seal is bad..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

Member #
    Sound advice Joe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links