Track and Road Tires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Track and Road Tires

At the risk of pissing everyone off, I want to ask a question about tires for road and track. Yes, I have searched the forum from one end to the other and yes I realize that starting another tire thread is like starting another oil thread. With that being said, I'm going to ask because a lot of the tire threads are old and most seem to address road riding. I expect to get ragged on this question, but maybe someone will offer some help.

I have a new to me 2012 Speed Triple that I want to start doing track days with. I will continue to ride it on the road, but want to do the occasional track day and feel confident in pushing it on the track.

I have been researching the Pilot Powersport and the Pilot PR3 and PR4. I have read that the PR3 and PR4 are all silica and tend to get greasy on the track but better in the rain and thus a better road tire. I have read that the Powersport is a more aggressive design and suitable on the track but not as stable in the corners as expected. I've read that it is supposed to be a 50:50 track:road tire.

I'm not looking for an all track tire as I don't plan on using tire warmers and won't be racing. But I like the idea of the dual compound to give some longevity on the road. But I would like to feel confident in leaning it over without getting squirrelly.

Open to some recommendations.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello antisocial's Avatar
    Member #
    Pilot road 3 and pilot road 4 are great street tires, especially if you like taking speedy on long trips. Not recommended for the track. they don't like that much heat.

Power Supersport is a 50/50 trackday/street tire. Pilot Power 3 is more along the lines of 80% street 20% track. Be honest with yourself how much street vs track you do, and whether or not you will ride in the rain. I have personally used 2 sets of the Pilot Power 3, and can vouch that they are solid in the rain, and have bigger balls than I in the dry. Wear ain't too bad either. The Power Supersport will not be the best tire for the rain, but will be a solid trackday tire. No personal experience as to how they do on the street.
    Ha! You came to the wrong place talking that shit. We missing bone, spleens, testicles, and common sense from riding bikes.

Member #
    I'm gonna vote for the bt003. They are an awesome trackday tire and get about 3-4k on the rear for hard street riding. I never thought they would be good in the wet but when they still have decent amount of tread left they still have excellent center of tire grip in the wet (I'm a ***** rider in the wet so I never really leaned too hard in the wet with them)

i have a bt016 on the rear now. it'll be right around 6-7k when I'll need a new one. at 5k now Its already slid a little on acceleration.

If you do trackdays enough, the bt003 will be your best bet. get a new set, trackday, 3-4k miles on the rear, new rear and do another trackday.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chicken Strips Racing

DP Brakes CometLeathers Vortex Shorai

2015 Grom143
    2006 SV650 race bike
    CCS #73ex

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    The bike has the Pilot Power 3's on them right now. They seem like good tires and I feel confident on them, but have yet to ride them on the track. I can change my own tires and have wondered if it makes sense to get some Pilot Supersport for track day use only. I have also heard that the M3's are good for road and track use.

Thanks for the input on this. You make a good point about how much will I use them on the track. I'm not sure I can answer that yet until I see how the bike performs as a track day bike.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Corn Fed's Avatar
    Member #
    Dunlop Q2s or 3s

Member #
    if it already has power 3's in decient condition, just ride it. for your first few trackdays the difference between the p3 and the SS wont mean jack.

i also like q2, and q3, especially because they seem to offer the performance of the power3, and cost ~$100 less.

Member #
    2ct

Member #
    Dunlop roadsmart 2's

Member #
    Thanks for the help...I'm sticking with the Power 3's for now. I'll see how it goes. Thanks again.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Triplez View Post
    Dunlop roadsmart 2's
    +1.
    Hooray for boobies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links