daytona 955i's with single-side swing arms? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello BillT's Avatar
    Member #

Re: daytona 955i's with single-side swing arms?

I think SSSAs have been on various bikes for many years, but SSSAs really saw prominence in the '80s when Honda used it on their Elf endurance racers and RC30. By the '90s, seemed everybody was jumping on the SSSA bandwagon. Fact of the matter is, however, that a conventional, forked, swing arm can be built lighter, stronger and cheaper than a comparable SSSA. This is a big reason why you don't see many SSSAs on non-european bikes. I believe the only middleweight sportbike with an SSSA is the Ducati 848.

I think BMW and Moto Guzzi use the Single-sided swing arm because it works well with their shaft drive, and since these bikes still have center stands, the ease of changing the rear tire is a plus. (there's not a lot of convenience gained with an SSSA when you've got to buy a paddock stand)

I think Triumph, Ducati, and MV Agusta have the SSSA on some models for style more than anything else.

Like Triumph with the Daytona, Ducati dropped the SSSA when they moved from the 998 to 999. It caused such an uproar in the Ducati community that the 1098 has the SSSA. (Its also a big factor in the opinion that the 999 is ugly, while the 998 is pretty)
    "A gentleman does not motor about after dark." - Joseph Lucas, 1842-1903

2006 Speedy - Black
    1973 Norton 850 Commando Roadster - Candy Red
    1969 Norton 750 Ranger - Candy Red
    1967 Matchless G15CS - Candy Red
    1961 Matchless G80CS - Cardinal Red

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BillT
    I think SSSAs have been on various bikes for many years, but SSSAs really saw prominence in the '80s when Honda used it on their Elf endurance racers and RC30. By the '90s, seemed everybody was jumping on the SSSA bandwagon. Fact of the matter is, however, that a conventional, forked, swing arm can be built lighter, stronger and cheaper than a comparable SSSA. This is a big reason why you don't see many SSSAs on non-european bikes. I believe the only middleweight sportbike with an SSSA is the Ducati 848.

I think BMW and Moto Guzzi use the Single-sided swing arm because it works well with their shaft drive, and since these bikes still have center stands, the ease of changing the rear tire is a plus. (there's not a lot of convenience gained with an SSSA when you've got to buy a paddock stand)

I think Triumph, Ducati, and MV Agusta have the SSSA on some models for style more than anything else.

Like Triumph with the Daytona, Ducati dropped the SSSA when they moved from the 998 to 999. It caused such an uproar in the Ducati community that the 1098 has the SSSA. (Its also a big factor in the opinion that the 999 is ugly, while the 998 is pretty)
    +1 Supposedly the Ducati marketing department told engineering the 1098 WILL have a SSA or else. Personally, I think the best point of SSA is maintenance. Being able to take the rear wheel off for a tire change with 1 nut is great. And you don't even have to mess with the chain adjustment. BTW, I added the GSG-moto center stand. Should have been standard equipment.

Member #

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links