Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner

Help Help help!! My 95 is making some funky noise

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  crashmasterd 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know im a newbie on her but maybe you'll help a brother out.

So, was out riding with my girlfriend and a buddy on Saturday on my 95 speed
triple.

Was running good, then my girlfriend said she noticed the right
side exhaust pipe was smoking a different color. I went over a bumpy section in
the road (may be related or not but figured it should be mentioned) and the bike
started making terrible noise.

Sounds like a metal on metal loud tick on
the right side.

Any ideas where I should start to troubleshoot this one.
I've had the bike for a little over a week and got to ride it maybe 4 times and
ofcoarse it's the start of the season so this really sucks and I want to get it
up and up real quick.

I have a friend who's a motor builder going to look
at it soon but was thinking it could be something maybe I could fix. I'm pretty
mechanically inclided.

Any help would be appreciated.:sad:

See less See more
#2 ·
Uh-oh. Tick increases or decreases with engine RPM? Is there with the clutch pulled in or not? Is there when in neutral and the bike is not moving?

Best case scenario; your alternator drive has come loose. Worst case, (and most likely) you've egged out a wrist pin hole in a piston like Dirty Sanchez did in his Trident. It made a horrible racket. Sounded like a Cumins diesel.

The only way to tell is pull the oil pan off and look.

#4 · (Edited)
For the funky sounds I would talk to this guy!
Forehead Face Head Chin Smile

Is the ticking clutch side or stator side? If stator could have dropped a magnet?
Something like this? [video=youtube;qh23grhZpI4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh23grhZpI4[/video]

#5 ·
If it's pistons then you're looking at being better off buying a used engine. If it's the alternator dive plate it's a simple fix: Pull the alternator and tighten up the bolt.

#8 ·
OK so... brought it to my mechanic buddy. On the ride there the noise stopped. He took it for a sping and told me that the bike is fine. He's thinking that since it sat for a while before I got it a valve or something may have gotten stuck and on my ride there it freed up. He suggested I change the oil again and put in Lucas oil additive and I should be good.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come back.

#10 ·
I know but, he made sense, since I live by the ocean and it sat in someones garage for a few years before I got it chances are there was a layer of surface rust in the cylinders etc. Something may have just binded and then freed up. He said (and this guy has been building, racing, modifying motorcycles for 30 years) as long as I keep up on it's maintenance now it should be fine. He even jumped on it and blasted up and down the block and said that it's pulling great and he doesn't see any issues.

Just ordered another filter, oil and lucas oil additive. I bought 3 quarts of oil and 1 quart additive. From what I'm seeing these take almost 4 quarts of oil?!?

#11 ·
Nope! Nope! Nope!
[video=youtube;8mKIuZ4tIzk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mKIuZ4tIzk[/video]
Not until I figured out exactly what that noise was.

#13 ·
Seem like we might be watching a case of
[video=youtube;wZk8noqCJ94]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZk8noqCJ94[/video]

#15 ·
comic relief. can't put a price on that.

#16 ·
I'll tell you how that's helpful. That Sergeant really had his wits about him to pull that moron down with him to safety. (Assuming it's a sergeant.) Personally I'd have left him up there to take his lumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.