Engine struggles to turn over, confirmed electrical and new starter.
    Member #

Question Engine struggles to turn over, confirmed electrical and new starter.

Hey guys, I've been a silent stalker of the forum for a while, but now my poor 2006 s3 is broken and I'm forced out of my shell lol. Hopefully, someone can help, I'm lost after trying all the usual suspects.

It's doing the classic barely turning over thing, but it's not electrical or the starter.

I've replaced the starter, checked the electrical, even tried jumping the new starter directly off a car battery. On top of that, when it wouldn't start after running fine to a Cycle Gear 45 minutes from home, I tried roll starting it and 2nd gear locked up the tire so hard the tire peeled a bunch of paint off the asphalt!! I now have a bike that won't start but does have pretty blue handicap parking paint on the rear tire lol. 3rd gear turned the engine over a little when I tried a roll-start, but obviously, something was really wrong so I towed it home.

Compression is fine, valves are ok (two exhaust valves where .330, so .030mm out of spec).

Any ideas God, I hope someone has some insight!

I've done so much to her with the help of this forum, including GSXR brakes with a Brembo MC and pretty Triumph reservoir, new bars and levers, matte black powder-coated everything including headlight buckets, LED front lights, tail tidy, redid the seat cushion, Two Brothers exhaust made to fit from a friend's wrecked R6, -1/+2 sprockets, Tune of Death, Matte black paint on everything not powder-coated.... that's off the top of my head. Suffice to say I wish I loved a person this much!

Thanks for all the great resources here and praying someone saves the day for me with some genius insights!

-Jonathan
    Last edited by jmielec; 04-09-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Member #
    Sprag also replaced not long ago, and it's definitely not that kind of sound. It actually struggles to turn, like strains for a few seconds before finally making a rotation. I'll get video later today.

Tested battery, cables and load, and even at one point tried directly jumping the starter itself with a big car battery, all with the same results. It's almost like it's partially seized, if that's a thing. Compression's within range too. Ugh, driving me crazy! Especially that it ran fine until I stopped and parked and then tried to restart.

Would any kind of cam timing/timing chain/tensioner issue possibly cause this?

Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver Speedy-Glez's Avatar
    Member #
    jumping it over with cables is a no go believe me when my battery took a shaiste I tried 2 different vehicles with perfectly fine batteries and never got around starting it ... only once have I ever roll on started and it worked .... it was the day i rode to pick up the new (used) stator from a craigslist find ... obviously that was the only time i did this to get home and install the new stator. i would try to use a battery from another bike.. could be a good start... even if a battery shows to be fully charged the deterioration of CCA from a battery is very significant and the 1050 loves to chew on CCA at start up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thanks Speedy-Glez. I did try a 2nd battery, a Yuasa (had a lithium battery in the bike when it died).

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    How did you check compression? Usually have to crank it over on the starter with the plugs out. If you can actually do that it rules a lot of things out.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    pull plugs and attempt to crank, if it doesn't spin immediately and easily, stop trying to crank it

is it doing it with bike cold, or hot?

how much resistance in the positive cable from battery to starter? you "checked electrical" what does that mean?

how does the oil look?
    Last edited by Joe Houle; 04-10-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver coasta007's Avatar
    Member #
    Did you look at the connections on the starter solenoid? My bike had a similar issue to yours and I found the main cable from the battery to the line side of the solenoid was bolted on tight but the load side cable was very loose (nut needed to be tightened about 1.5 turns) on the solenoid.

I tightened it and hasn't happened since.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    "... your will to live is over-riding your throttle control ..." - Joe Houle, 01-17-2012
    I'll use this signature until I can Wheelie properly

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jmielec View Post
    Hey guys, I've been a silent stalker of the forum for a while, but now my poor 2006 s3 is broken and I'm forced out of my shell lol. Hopefully, someone can help, I'm lost after trying all the usual suspects.

It's doing the classic barely turning over thing, but it's not electrical or the starter.

I've replaced the starter, checked the electrical, even tried jumping the new starter directly off a car battery. On top of that, when it wouldn't start after running fine to a Cycle Gear 45 minutes from home, I tried roll starting it and 2nd gear locked up the tire so hard the tire peeled a bunch of paint off the asphalt!! I now have a bike that won't start but does have pretty blue handicap parking paint on the rear tire lol. 3rd gear turned the engine over a little when I tried a roll-start, but obviously, something was really wrong so I towed it home.

Compression is fine, valves are ok (two exhaust valves where .330, so .030mm out of spec).

Any ideas God, I hope someone has some insight!

I've done so much to her with the help of this forum, including GSXR brakes with a Brembo MC and pretty Triumph reservoir, new bars and levers, matte black powder-coated everything including headlight buckets, LED front lights, tail tidy, redid the seat cushion, Two Brothers exhaust made to fit from a friend's wrecked R6, -1/+2 sprockets, Tune of Death, Matte black paint on everything not powder-coated.... that's off the top of my head. Suffice to say I wish I loved a person this much!

Thanks for all the great resources here and praying someone saves the day for me with some genius insights!

-Jonathan
    Not that I have any expertise in this area, I noticed you have LED's fitted to your bike and I see you have ruled out electrical, but. Have you done the Stator & R&R mode. You have the same year bike as mine, I fitted LED's and then had the fear of god put into me because just about everyone on here says the 05/06 S3 have piss poor R&R and Stator and they will DIE if you fit LED headlights. I haven't done the mod yet as I have no money, I fully intend to get it sorted and will not take her out until I know it will be ok.

Sponsored Links