05 Speed Triple stalls in Neutral after switching from TORS to Project SC - TuneECU
    Member #

05 Speed Triple stalls in Neutral after switching from TORS to Project SC - TuneECU

Hi fellow Speed Triplers,

This is what seems my last resort to try and fix this problem I had since last summer, since my local dealer is unhelpful, uninterested and too busy to look into bikes not purchased at his place or that do not require purchasing overcharged parts...

So my 2005 Triple was running flawlessly on my TORS exhaust with the dual exhaust map from TuneECU for the past 3 years.

I decided last summer to switch to some Project SC Dual exhaust and tried every suitable map and always had the same issue :

• after loading a new map and resetting the TPS sensor and doing the 12 min tune (though I never saw the green light confirming the TPS reset was successful), the bike would ride OK during the first 2 'learning' days, looking for the ideal idle position, usually starting to idle around 1,200 and then gradually going to down to the ideal 800.
    • on the 3rd day, when the 'learning' process is done, I can't even get out of my garage : as soon as I shift from 1st to 2nd gear, it stalls when I pass by neutral. Then I can't even start the bike anymore as it stalls as soon as I try to start it. It basically tries to idle around 200-400 and stalls constantly.
    • at this stage, the only solution is to hook TuneECU, reset the TPS sensor, do (an optional) 12 minutes tune, and ride again for 2 days...

It happened 5 times last summer, the last time, I just called it a winter and stored the bike. Yesterday, when I woke her up for the first time this spring, I was hoping she would have forgotten her idling symptoms, but alas, after warming up the bike, it did the same thing again...

So instead of trying to reset the TPS sensor again, I was hoping to find the real problem. I was suspecting a physicial problem with the TPS sensor, but again, it was riding perfectly with my TORS exhaust. As soon as I fitted the new exhaust, the problem started. All the maps I tried should have been good, and during the 'learning' process, it rides OK, you can tell she's still trying to adjust, but at least it revs somewhere between 800 and 1200 and never stalls.

Any idea what to look for ?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by gtommy; 05-21-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    05 Speed Triple
    TORS Exhausts ; Triumph Carbon exhaust shields ; K/N Air filter ; Yamaha R6 Calipers ; Spiegler SS Custom Lines ; Carbone Lorraine XBK5 pads ; Pazzo Shorty Levers ; Triumph Anodized front / rear brake reservoir ; Rizoma Lux grips ; EvoTech Tail Tidy ; R&G Engine case sliders ; OES Frame sliders ; Triumph bar-end mirrors ; Seat Cowl ; TechSpec Snake Skin Tank and Grip pads ; Pit Bull Rear stand ; TuneECU

Citation of the Wrench and Nutdriver Speedy-Glez's Avatar
    Member #
    other than resetting the tps and the 12 mins adaptation. have you disconnected the o2 sensor or the sai ... what about balancing your throttle bodies. any air leaks on the vacuum hoses ... clean fuel filter?

Member #
    O2 sensor and SAI not disconnected.
    Bike has 9,000K on it, never balanced the throttle bodies, haven't changed the fuel filter yet
    Air leaks in the vacuum hoses : not impossible, as I recently installed a new R/R and stator and had to remove the fuel tank.

Any of the above that could explain my idling issue ?
    05 Speed Triple
    TORS Exhausts ; Triumph Carbon exhaust shields ; K/N Air filter ; Yamaha R6 Calipers ; Spiegler SS Custom Lines ; Carbone Lorraine XBK5 pads ; Pazzo Shorty Levers ; Triumph Anodized front / rear brake reservoir ; Rizoma Lux grips ; EvoTech Tail Tidy ; R&G Engine case sliders ; OES Frame sliders ; Triumph bar-end mirrors ; Seat Cowl ; TechSpec Snake Skin Tank and Grip pads ; Pit Bull Rear stand ; TuneECU

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Avi8or's Avatar
    Member #
    Had the same idling problems, sometimes low idle>dies down, and sometimes idles high. Solved by fitting a manual idle adjuster from a Triumph Thruxton. I've got a write here somewhere if you'd care to look for it.

Member #
    Found your thread. Will need to look into it more.

In my case, why would the exhausts swap suddenly create the idling problem? And what happens after the learning process is done for the idle to start acting up like that?
    05 Speed Triple

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Avi8or's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gtommy View Post
    Found your thread. Will need to look into it more.

In my case, why would the exhausts swap suddenly create the idling problem? And what happens after the learning process is done for the idle to start acting up like that?
    If I knew the answer I'd gladly provide it. Idle problems cropped up most times I downloaded a new map. So I went the manual idle adjustment route and banished said problems forever. BTW I hardly ever need to touch the adjuster. Once set it's set. End of.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    Balance the throttle bodies and check for vacuum leaks.
    Basically you need to check it all if it's all the original '05 stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    If you are not getting a green light at the end of the remapping then it might not actually be loading.
    Try a new fully charged battery and have your laptop on a charger while loading the tune and setting the TPS.
    A mate was having problems loading tune ECU on his Scrambler.
    Wouldn’t believe that his battery could be the problem as he had just ridden 1000kms.
    we put it on a charger overnight and had his laptop on charge and suddenly everything loaded.
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    Probably nothing to do with the exhaust.

Don't know about the "2 'learning' days, looking for the ideal idle position, usually starting to idle around 1,200 and then gradually going to down to the ideal 800." Mine has never done that, always idles right around 1000 RPM. I did have some problems with my IAC, I tried manually shimming the stop where Avi put in his adjuster with some aluminum tape. That lasted for one ride. At the same time I had forced in some lube around the IAC seals. It started working again and still is, knock on wood.

Sponsored Links