Stumbling idle

Thread: Stumbling idle

Member #

Stumbling idle

Hey yall. I've recently had a problem with my 06 speedy having a stumbling idle. My guess was it may have been misfiring from bad plugs and it was time to do the valves so I did both and still no resolution. I read that that tank breather may be clogged and is causing vacuum problems so I blew out both the breather and the overflow. No change. Thought it maybe clogged injectors (even though I put 91 octane and the fact I ride it every single day) so I used a fuel system cleaner and burned up a tank of gas on a long ride today but no change. It seems to happen only once the bike is up to operating temperature. Bike starts just fine and idles perfect until the temp is 5 bars, then it starts to fall on its face. I'm running stock everything except k&n air filter which has been on the bike for a while and was cleaned when I did the valves. Bike has 27k miles. Here's a link to a video of my bike. https://youtu.be/JkKhYt1IqAk
    Thanks all!

Member #
    Pulled off the tank to make sure no vacuum hoses had come loose and found this. Anyone know what it goes to? I dont remember seeing it or touching it while adjusting the valves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    There is an unused plug for the optional alarm or it could be for the evap canister purge valve if that was not fitted or removed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Chewie.'s Avatar
    Member #
    it may be that one of the vacuum hoses is perished and leaking. If it runs okay at higher revs but stumbles at idle, this is a likely cause.
    John

"I haven't shot anybody since 1992...and even then I didn't do it!" - Mark 'Chopper' Read

Member #
    okay ill go through and squeeze em all to make sure that isnt the case. beats paying a mechanic to faff about and charge me money!

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie. View Post
    it may be that one of the vacuum hoses is perished and leaking. If it runs okay at higher revs but stumbles at idle, this is a likely cause.
    I suppose it’s about time I did some remedial work on my old girl.
    I suppose I could replace these with a silicone hose of appropriate size.
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

Member #
    You can take an unlit propane torch, crack it open and wave it around the hoses. If the engine revs up you have found the culprit. Careful with sources of ignition.

Member #
    After hours of head scratching a wrench turning and butane blowing I decided to go back to square one; the gas cap. I've used compressed air to blow out the breather vent in the past but decided to take the sucker apart and yall should've seen the sludge that was inside. It was a crystalized gas with fresh gas sludge that was clogging up the two rubber flaps. Now that I think about it, the problem started around the time I was learning to wheelie this bike. Always filled it up to the brim and guess some got in there and crystalized while I was riding, but now with the introduction of fresh gas daily from wheelies it caused the gas cap to seriously clog up. Guess i wont be filling it to the brim anymore, but the wheelies will keep coming 😂 maybe monthly maintenance of cleaning the cap would help stop this from happening again? Has anyone else experienced this problem?? Thanks again for all the suggestions

Member #
    Are you talking about that plastic valve that's inline with the overflow hose? Just pitch it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    Are you talking about that plastic valve that's inline with the overflow hose? Just pitch it.
    No this bike has both vent and overflow lines running straight from the tank to the bottom of the bike. No one way valve type deal that almost everyone takes off. I'm talking about the actual gas cap and how it routes and vents thru the tank and out the bottom. The gas cap, especially inside the red bit was totally corroded from standing gas from filling it too high, and wheelies. Since cleaning, it seems to be running much better. Very seldom does it stumble below idle but picks right back up and carries on. Confusing things theres euro bikes are, huh? 😁

Sponsored Links