Oil on radiator connection...(speedy 2011)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Noob! Lopan79's Avatar
    Member #
    21029
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    51

    Oil on radiator connection...(speedy 2011)

    When trying to save a trip to the mechanics for a leaking front fork seal, I noticed this>>


    The left side connection to the radiator is well covered with oil. Nothing dripping, and may have been that way since I got the bike a month or so back, just havent looked at the thing thoroughly.

    Where could the oil have come from? Thats my concern...will clean up and see if it returns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    AA
    AA is offline
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    132
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,213
    Ummm, maybe the leaking fork??
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

  3. #3
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    18
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    4,240

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello crashmasterd's Avatar
    Member #
    59
    Thanked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    31,824
    and ride it.

    Clean it off good with some brake cleaner or just starter fluid, take it out and ride it and see if it returns. Worst case scenario (considering what I can see) it needs a new o-ring on the oil line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Santa 1050 View Post
    Just when you think it can't get worse, Crash comes along and informs you that not only is the glass not half full, but it is stolen and contains a mix of horse semen, urine, laxative and viagra, right after you swallowed a mouthful...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houle View Post
    ...no ink and going baconless on your bacon cheeseburger is about the most rebelious thing you can do these days.

  6. #5
    Noob! Lopan79's Avatar
    Member #
    21029
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    51
    No stop to riding! Just wondered where the oil had come from, all the rest of the fork oil seemed to have clung to the fork, at worst seeped down to near the damping adjuster, wasnt sure if could that easily fling off and be caught behind. Will clean up and get shifting.

  7. #6
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello crashmasterd's Avatar
    Member #
    59
    Thanked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    31,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopan79 View Post
    No stop to riding! Just wondered where the oil had come from, all the rest of the fork oil seemed to have clung to the fork, at worst seeped down to near the damping adjuster, wasnt sure if could that easily fling off and be caught behind. Will clean up and get shifting.
    It would take a lot of oil for the fork seals to do that. My best guess is the o-ring. Or it might even just be loose screws. Give them a little love and a cleaning and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Santa 1050 View Post
    Just when you think it can't get worse, Crash comes along and informs you that not only is the glass not half full, but it is stolen and contains a mix of horse semen, urine, laxative and viagra, right after you swallowed a mouthful...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houle View Post
    ...no ink and going baconless on your bacon cheeseburger is about the most rebelious thing you can do these days.

  8. #7
    Noob! Lopan79's Avatar
    Member #
    21029
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by crashmasterd View Post
    It would take a lot of oil for the fork seals to do that. My best guess is the o-ring. Or it might even just be loose screws. Give them a little love and a cleaning and see what happens.
    Cleaned up to bone dry and slowly a thin film of oil has reappeared, crash. The o-ring is between the radiator bottom corner and the connection with screws? Lead the way and I'll try follow what is likely a basic fix-up, (I hope). I thought the radiator was filled with coolant not oil? Are those screws at the bottom safe to undo without a gush of toxic coolant pouring out?
    Last edited by Lopan79; 10-29-2019 at 08:02 PM.

  9. #8
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    18
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    4,240
    The radiator is full of coolant but your picture in the OP is of your oil cooler which is full of oil.

  10. #9
    Noob! Lopan79's Avatar
    Member #
    21029
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_gallup View Post
    The radiator is full of coolant but your picture in the OP is of your oil cooler which is full of oil.
    so what should I try as a remedy for the slow leak?

    Undo those crews? Find an o-ring - clean and replace it - and make sure I catch the oil that will come out when undone? And refill the cooler? I will peek with more focus after work!
    Last edited by Lopan79; 10-29-2019 at 11:01 PM.

  11. #10
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello crashmasterd's Avatar
    Member #
    59
    Thanked
    2 times
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    31,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopan79 View Post
    so what should I try as a remedy for the slow leak?

    Undo those crews? Find an o-ring - clean and replace it - and make sure I catch the oil that will come out when undone? And refill the cooler? I will peek with more focus after work!
    Pretty much. Just have a bit of paper-towel or something when you unhook the line to plug the hole with. It won't leak very much. You don't need to "refill" the oil cooler. The oil pump will do that within a few seconds after you start it up. The oil from the pump goes to the oil filter first, then to the oil cooler. After the oil cooler the oil goes to the crank and transmission. It will actually take less time to pressurize the system than when you replace an oil filter.

    S3Oilcircuit.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Santa 1050 View Post
    Just when you think it can't get worse, Crash comes along and informs you that not only is the glass not half full, but it is stolen and contains a mix of horse semen, urine, laxative and viagra, right after you swallowed a mouthful...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houle View Post
    ...no ink and going baconless on your bacon cheeseburger is about the most rebelious thing you can do these days.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •