Install GPR Furore on Speedy 2011
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Install GPR Furore on Speedy 2011

Waited most today to make sure the DHL man was met at the door, and he handed me my new GPR furore Nero low mount an hour back. Sounded lovely when placed on, yet when I got down to installing the cradle loop, I noticed the screws on the silver metal section on the bike were stars, not hex keys...torx bolts.

the seller didnt include either of the DB killers, but first aim is to get the bloody thing secured on the speedy!

Now the rain comes, and the stubby tip falls off as Im on the move to the toll merchant. At least I've a torx driver that fits, but only the bottom bolt, the top has been rounded a little. Will try work out how to loosen and get off. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Lopan79; 10-27-2019 at 12:17 AM.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    DHL deliver on a Sunday? Shouldn't you have been watching MotoGP at the island?

The bolts you are referring to, I am assuming you are referring to Torx Bolts.

Bunnings, Supercheap, Autobarn, Autopro etc, will have Torx keys or better yet T bars. Much like Allen/Hex keys or T bars, but star shape instead of Hex shape.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Member #
    Missed the GP, Santa...was too keen to try get the muffler on. Got a torx tool but the top one is rounded off a little. Looking at ways to try get it loosen now. Will start with some wd40 and a flat head with some light taps of a hammer?

Kinda lost a lot of my passion for the racing since Rossi started to get a bit long in the fang. Do have a track day in my pocket for later this year at Phillip Island though!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    In my bodgier days, I've cut a slit in the head of the torx bolts and used a large flat head screw driver. I'm not proud of it but it worked... I suspect your bolts would be too tight for that bodge technique to work. It'd just rion the head of the bolt.

Worst case vice grips?

Member #
    Agree re Rossi. I live in hope... you should watch the first 5 laps... and the last 10...

Member #
    Couldnt resist a stab at the flat head and hammer routine, and the head of the torx is now much more round. No dice left to roll with my awkward hands. Was already loosely planning on trying out the services of a motorcycle community in the City next Saturday, can use the well stocked facilities for a regular fee and also get a experienced mechanic to go through jobs with you, so you get to learn the job not just pay for it. Will take the speedy in to a 1 on 1 there for an hour and learn a little, and get the muffler on. Until which time, the stub can is now mangled, it fell off when I went to the hardware store and the next car behind drove over it! Havent got the energy or desire to get the stock back on, probably mangled something there also! So I will ride it as it is, pretty much the same as with that pointless stubby can from recently. Still, for now at least I had some success with the fork seal...so some steps forward, some back!

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    Beardy, tattooed, hipster dudes in Richmond?

Where are you in Melbourne.
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

Member #
    Get someone with a harley to ride with You to the city so the cops don't realise you have no muffler fitted...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AA View Post
    Beardy, tattooed, hipster dudes in Richmond?

Where are you in Melbourne.
    Footscray, AA...this crowd are >>
    https://kustomkommune.com.au/

Abbotsford...

and where can you head in Melbourne these days without finding tattooed, hipster dudes? good luck to e'm, especially if they can teach me a trick or two with some basic bike work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Santa 1050 View Post
    Get someone with a harley to ride with You to the city so the cops don't realise you have no muffler fitted...

previous owner was running with that kinda pointless stub tip can for a while, hope it hasnt done any harm to the engine and doesnt tie in with his own suggestion of the bike running much better in that state. With no muffler it sounds the same, but no surprise. Might put the stock back on after work, but its hassle and I've likely lost a bolt, the one central and under the seat. Might be more simple just to wait till the weekend. Yet I am tempted to borrow a drill and get the bolt out...just concerned of drilling too far and fecklesly, causing untold trauma!

AA
    The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello AA's Avatar
    Member #
    Kool, so long as they don’t make you drink kale smoothies and join in on Tumeric cleansing washes while sitting in a circle holding hands.

If you don’t have the tools, experience or mentorship then it is probably a good deal and close by for you.

The bolt on your boot guard shouldn’t be too hard to get out.
    If you have really bastardised it then you can drill it out and use an “easyout” (see bunnings drill section) pretty sure it is a 4 mm bolt so you wold drill it with a 2.5 mm drill and insert the easy out and turn counter clockwise.
    The first tool I bought as a motorcyclist was an impact driver designed espescially for removing destroyed phillips head bolts.

There are fewer hipsters the further west you come.
    This is the wattle, the symbol of our land.
    You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.
    Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you, Amen.
    Crack a tube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links