955i speed triple 1999 - turns over but wont fire up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

955i speed triple 1999 - turns over but wont fire up

hi everyone,

after a bit of assistance.

so the bikes being a bit of a pain. no issues with it really until now with it running.

a bit of history: my first bike, smokes a bit and burns oil when i boot it, so i could possibly just have a engine that is no longer any good. valve seals or piston rings shot.

so i started the bike this morning and id sounded a bit lumpy, with in a matter of minutes of starting it conked out and now it just cranks over but wont catch.

so im thinking of these possibilities,

contaminated fuel - after is rained hard i seem to have a lot of water when i open the filler cap that falls into tank? its been pretty poor weather and maybe water has got mixed with fuel.
    engine compression - maybe its not sufficient?
    no spark - maybe the plugs not cleaning or changing? no spark being generated?
    no fuel to injectors.

i guess the list is bigger,

any ideas where to start? to check fuel and spark etc?

thanks you.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    Since it started and died and you say you have water in the fuel I'd start by draining the tank and fuel rail and refill with just a gallon or so of fresh clean fuel. You could also just spray some starting fluid into the intakes to see if it fires but I don't like to use that stuff on high performance engines, only crap like lawnmowers. Either way the idea is to determine whether the problem is spark or fuel. Other things like rings and valves are generally long slow failure modes but could be the problem since it's getting a bit long in the tooth. How many miles on it?

Member #
    thanks dr gallup

il empty the tank and get a Jerry can a refill it. what the best way to empty the tank? and the rail?

its currently around 28k miles on clock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    You'll have to pull the tank and air box to get to the rail.

Member #
    right.

removed the tank, checked various plugs etc, all fuses double checked relays sitting on the bases correctly.

removed the air intake, removed the coil packs off each cylinder and took the plugs out. the plugs looked like they had seen better days (i guess) so replaced all three. also a side note here they looked dry (as though me cranking it prior to taking it apart ) fuel didn't get injected in?

one thing i didn't do was keep the old plugs in and crank the bike over while the plug is earthed to actually see if i had a spark. i put it back together and tried it but still not feeling very hopeful it again failed to start.

at this point i did just spray a bit of easy start in the inlet and boom it fired like the old days but cut out because the easy start obviously depleted. so i guess there is a spark?

when i turn the bike on i can here the pump prime in tank for about 3 seconds.

should i maybe start looking at the CRANKSHAFT position sensor? this sensor is part of the timing and determines when to inject fuel is that correct? well it feeds information back to the ECU then that fires the injectors?

sorry for long post hope its clear.
    Last edited by sluglet1066; 09-13-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Member #
    Do you have a check engine light on? Usually a bad sensor will through a code and the light comes on.

Member #
    well tbh i haven't really noticed but yes the bottom light the orange light, engine management one is illuminated.

Member #
    If you've got a code reader handy (even one of the cheapo ones) you should be able to get an idea what might be causing the engine light, and give you something to work from.

Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you flip the kill switch to run?
    Todd
    '97 T509

Member #
    thanks for reply.

So when is the engine management light meant to come on? when i turn the ignition on? when im cranking its still illuminated - i pretty sure il double check that. the main pump in tank i can hear humming for a few seconds when i turn the ignition on.

Member #
    On mine the engine light does illuminate when the key is turned on and stays on while cranking, it only goes out once the engine is running - I imagine the 955i is the same. Still probably worth it to scan - like Gallup said, a bad sensor would show up.

Another thing worth checking if you haven't is the condition of the hoses inside the fuel tank. The pump, hoses and fuel filter are all on the back of that plate on the bottom-right side of the tank, and if the hoses are original, they can definitely be gummed up or start to break down. I would think that would just make it run bad, not fail to start - but maybe one of the lines came loose?
    Todd
    '97 T509

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links