TOD - Review - Page 3
Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: TOD - Review

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello DeepSixxx's Avatar
    Member #
    I like my highmounts.....

Member #
    Just saw this TOD last night and copied its values over to the newer 20539 tune.

While doing that I noticed that the L1-L3 values differ for the initial throttle position values. Why are these values different across each of these tables (yes, my knowledge base on these matters is limited)? Is this related to firing order or the amount of vacuum? I also do realize (at least from my understanding), that this tune switches to the F tables pretty early on, which would at least explain why only the initial values on the L tables were changed.

I did install the tune this morning. The first thing I noticed was that the TPS indicator on TuneECU didn't turn green; this is the first time I've had this happen, but it doesn't seem this is a bid deal as this is self-adapting. I also noticed it didn't idle as smoothly as the 20539 and was a little jerky off the start, but while riding it definitely felt nice.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ixkackxi View Post
    Just saw this TOD last night and copied its values over to the newer 20539 tune.

While doing that I noticed that the L1-L3 values differ for the initial throttle position values. Why are these values different across each of these tables (yes, my knowledge base on these matters is limited)? Is this related to firing order or the amount of vacuum? I also do realize (at least from my understanding), that this tune switches to the F tables pretty early on, which would at least explain why only the initial values on the L tables were changed.

I did install the tune this morning. The first thing I noticed was that the TPS indicator on TuneECU didn't turn green; this is the first time I've had this happen, but it doesn't seem this is a bid deal as this is self-adapting. I also noticed it didn't idle as smoothly as the 20539 and was a little jerky off the start, but while riding it definitely felt nice.
    The key question is how different is your bikes exhaust and air filter configuration compared to Joe's. Also, is your bike an 07-08 like Joe's? I would suggest that the L tables are related to vacuum. Did you just copy the tables across or individually change the values in each cell? If you're bike is a different model to Joe's, the rpm increments across may differ slightly from the tune you are using. If it is not performing smoothly at low rpm/load, it would seem that this part of the map doesn't suit your bike so well. You may consider, taking a look at the standard F_L Switch table, and perhaps change the TOD values back to the standard values and see how it goes.
    Another item to look at - does your bike run an O2 sensor in its exhaust? If so, try ticking the O2 box. Or vice versa if required.
    With regard to idle, you may need to tweak the idle values to ones you KNOW you bike idles well with. TOD idle rpm values are lower than what I was running previous.
    The other variable, is what fuel are you using? IIRC Joe uses 93 octane premium fuel. If you're using different, this may also affect the performance you experience.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Santa 1050 View Post
    The key question is how different is your bikes exhaust and air filter configuration compared to Joe's. Also, is your bike an 07-08 like Joe's? I would suggest that the L tables are related to vacuum. Did you just copy the tables across or individually change the values in each cell? If you're bike is a different model to Joe's, the rpm increments across may differ slightly from the tune you are using. If it is not performing smoothly at low rpm/load, it would seem that this part of the map doesn't suit your bike so well. You may consider, taking a look at the standard F_L Switch table, and perhaps change the TOD values back to the standard values and see how it goes.
    Another item to look at - does your bike run an O2 sensor in its exhaust? If so, try ticking the O2 box. Or vice versa if required.
    With regard to idle, you may need to tweak the idle values to ones you KNOW you bike idles well with. TOD idle rpm values are lower than what I was running previous.
    The other variable, is what fuel are you using? IIRC Joe uses 93 octane premium fuel. If you're using different, this may also affect the performance you experience.
    My bike is an '09 with a 3-1 CRM exhaust and a BMC air filter, so it's pretty similar.

Rather than changing the F_L switch, would it just be better to change the L values back to the original values? Just to be clear, what are you referring to as idle values?

Regarding the O2 sensor, that was another thing I had noticed. My model doesn't have the O2 sensor right before the exhaust can like the previous model, but is a bit before that. So yes, I am still running with the O2 sensor and was thinking I should check that option as you suggested.

Also, does having the O2 sensor checked or not affect how the L tables are used? Don't these rely on the O2 sensor whereas the F tables rely on the TPS?

And yes, I am running 93 octane.

I am not sure what else was done to Joe's bike, but as per Wayne's sugestions, I had taken out the SAI solenoid and connected the crankcase vent to the reed valves.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    Don't modify the new factory tune with the TOD, just run the TOD as is, then decide
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

Engine Demolition Xpert jimmyheadgear's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Houle View Post
    Don't modify the new factory tune with the TOD, just run the TOD as is, then decide
    Joe

I wrote TOD to my bike. Not a modded version of 20539.

I still have my O2 sensor installed. Should I enable it in TuneECU when writing TOD to my bike?

Was it disabled because you aren't running an O2?
    Pete

08 Black

2doggs
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepSixxx View Post
    I like my highmounts.....

Member #
    The O2 is still there, i leave it disabled
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

Member #
    Joe,

When you have time could you post your vacuum values for each cylinder from TuneECU? For educational purposes of course.

I will say that the more I read Wayne's and other's posts the more concerned I become about just swapping tunes from one bike to another based on the assumptions that some of us (e.g., myself) are making about how these mappings work. Hell, I am just starting to understand this. But I typically learn the hard way.
    Last edited by ixkackxi; 01-18-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Member #
    I'll fire it up tomorrow and get you the values. Why don't you just swing by Wayne's and get tuned? I'm probably riding over this weekend. At a minimum you can get dyno runs of each tune

Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links