TOD - Review
Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: TOD - Review

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #

TOD - Review

NOTE: After the same questions being asked again, and again and again, here is a quick FAQ to deal with it.

FAQ 1 - This tune is only for PRE 2011 models. If you have a non round headlight model, none of the TOD versions will work for you.
    If you have a 2011 model or later, and it has a low mount exhaust (particularly an M4 or CW) then the best place I can suggest is here:
    https://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24325

If your 2011 or newer model, has aftermarket high mounts, I would suggest contacting Antisocial via PM and see if he can help you. He might accept hookers and blow as gratuities...

FAQ 2 - If you have Pre 2011 (round headlight) model with a low mount exhaust, then the TOD could be a good match for your bike. If your bike has aftermarket high mount or stock exhaust pipes, then THIS (The TOD) is NOT suitable for your bike. It won't be beneficial in any way, and the fueling and ignition are notably different to those for the stock and high mount configurations, that it could even harm your bike, so don't bother.

So in summation, this ONLY for round headlight models (pre 2011) with low mount exhausts. If your bike doesn't fit those categories, it is NOT for you.

Tune of Death - Review

Firstly, a big thanks and thumbs up to Joe for releasing this to us, and an equally big cheers, props and RESPECT to Wayne "POWER" Tripp for his skill and expertise at developing this tune/map.

Abstract:
    F U C K ! ! ! F U C K ME DRUNK!!!!! This tune is amazing. The first thing noticed is the the crispness of the throttle response whilst blipping the throttle in neutral. On the initial ride, was smooth. VERY Mother****ingdamned SMOOOOOOTH. It didn't seem overly powerful, but wasn't slow. It is an absolute deception. It is very powerful and smooth, the power delivery is so flat and smooth it you DON'T feel any surges of power -with my previous map you felt a surge of power (almost like hitting powerband on a 2 stroke). So whilst you don't feel the same arms being ripped out of shoulder sockets acceleration, don't be fooled, because she WILL propel you at corners faster than the bike did previously... Tune of Death - aptly named, it will rapidly take you to your death if you don't respect it...

Main Review:
    Since I got a low mount pipe on my Speedy, I have tried various tunes. Initially the factory ARROW map, followed by the factory ARROW map with PC3 map trims for the same pipe applied. Tired of running around like that for over a year, last year I stumped up the ca$h and had a custom dyno map made specifically for my bike. This made a HUGE improvement, and I was quite happy with that, and have been making small tweaks here and there to fine tune it. Then Joe made TOD (Tune of Death) available to us, so I decided to give it a try to compare. My initial impressions are covered in the above abstract. Continuing on from there, I initially weaseled my way out of the house for a half hour to do a couple of test runs. These confirmed that it is the smoothest tune I've come across, and it IS deceptively fast. It seems to just keep on pulling and pulling. It also makes clutching up wheelies more controllable and predictable.
    The best way to describe the smoothness of the motor with this tune is to compare it with my old Suzuki RF900R - by far and away the smoothest motor I've ever ridden, and the crispest throttle response I had experienced despite its carbs. Turbine smooth. Well, NOW, I have that same Turbine smooth power delivery and crisp throttle response on Speedy, plus a S H I T L O A D more torque. This short test run, was not however indicative of my normal riding so, I had to wait till I rode to work test in my real world riding.

So yesterday I rode to work, as I was in a hurry I just stuck to the freeway for the whole trip. The tune works VERY well, at freeway speeds, and at a constant throttle position. The only thing is you will need to keep an eye on speed, because the smoothness of the power means that you can and drift 15-30km/h (10-20mph) over the speed you were trying to hold, without really noticing it because the motor pitch doesn't change much at all. Previously the change in motor pitch was a give away that your speed was drifting up. On my way home, I was in no hurry so I decided to take the scenic route on the old highway for part of the trip. It was unbelieveable. You wound the power on, accelerated, didn't think much, till glancing down at the speedo to see it noteably higher than normal for those corners. It took about 10 corners to get it under control, and come to grips that I was hitting those corners much faster than normal without any extra effort. Scary stuff, because it meant changing braking points, cornering lines - everything.
    The best way to describe the change is like, after riding my 15+ yr old 80s Kawasaki Ninja600R for 5 years, I upgraded to a 4yr old 955cc Triumph Daytona, everything was much faster, but with so much less effort - BUT in this case it's the same bike with just an ECU map change. Mind blowing stuff.

My custom dyno map IS good (it was value for money for what is available to me). However it was created on a DJ Dyno, and more to the point it was Tuned to an AFR (which gives an improvement and gets you to the ballpark - but as is now evidenced, does not reach it's full potential) as opposed to Power Tripp's technique of Tuning to Best Power/Torque.
    At the end of the day, I am pleased with the custom map that was created for my bike as I believe the mechanic who created it is the best tuner in my local area, and DOES work with Tuneboy/TuneEdit and I would recommend him to others , the fact is Power Tripp seriously knows his stuff and is one very talented tuner. Suffice to say, them Good Ol' Boys definitely know their way around motors and how to tune them!
    I am still in the process of testing it and have yet to see how it's fuel economy goes, but I am quite pleased so far and will continue testing as I ride to work for the rest of the week.

Anyone else who has downloaded TOD, and is using it, by all means put down your thoughts and let the rest of us know your experience with it. I know Dispo Hero was running it and swore by it, perhaps he can shed more light on his experience with it's performance.

Anyone who has read this so far, and doesn't know what it's about should probably use the SEARCH function with the search term "Tune of Death" (including the inverted commas/ quotation marks)

or

Look Here:
    https://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/...ftp-tunes.html

Subject Bike:
    06' 1050 S3
    Low Mount Micron Pipe
    DNA Air Filter
    Airbox Mod
    Factory Pro Velocity Stacks

Cheers. Thanks again to Joe.
    Last edited by Bad Santa 1050; 05-21-2014 at 02:43 AM.

2doggs
    No TOD for highmounts?

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello DeepSixxx's Avatar
    Member #
    High mounts dont need it to kick the low's asses.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello antisocial's Avatar
    Member #
    there is a good power tripp tune for high mounts in there. match it up with your vin.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Joe Houle's Avatar
    Member #
    TOD works excellent with all manufacturer of highmounts. Just ensure that you are using the factory header..

and no mid-pipe

Glad you liked it. And now you get what I meant about the speed being deceptive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanc123 View Post
    Speedtriple.com is like motorcycles meets Monte Python from what I've seen, you either get it or you don't.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Sparti's Avatar
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Santa 1050 View Post
    Tune of Death - Review

https://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/...searchid=16204

Cheers. Thanks again to Joe.

Santa, the link is not working for me. BTW I assume this tune is for non SAI bikes and would it work with a Zard end can with original headers?

Does anyone have the dyno maps for the tune - I'd be interested in seeing how it makes it's power etc.

"The thing I like about bikes is that only people who like bikes are on them... Cars are full of people who don't care." James May

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Bad Santa 1050's Avatar
    Member #
    Hi Sparti,

the link was supposed to bring up the search results page, stupid thing didn't work.

Re your question, as I recall, the Zard is a low mount, so it will be suitable. As I understand it, Joe's bike has similar mods to mine, so the closer your setup is to that, the better the performance you'll reap. That said, I believe there are others who don't have those mods and are running TOD with pleasing results.

My custom map dynoed at 125hp (Dynojet) and and my bike IS faster with TOD, so there has to be some extra horses liberated, not to mention increased torque.

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello Sparti's Avatar
    Member #
    Thanks Santa. What about the SAI? Is this tune for SAI bikes. Being you have an Aussie bike you don't have SAI but from what I've read on other threads about the TOD it's for bikes with SAI.

Has the timing of this tune been advanced?

BTW other than the Zard low mount and I'm running a BMC filter.

"The thing I like about bikes is that only people who like bikes are on them... Cars are full of people who don't care." James May

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello jarhead's Avatar
    Member #
    I'm running the TOD and it is as Santa say's...AWESOME!

“Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?" (Attributed to Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood, June 1918.)

Engine Demolition Xpert jimmyheadgear's Avatar
    Member #
    Very well written Bad Santa. Not much else to say.
    Pete

08 Black

Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links