Newbie to Tune ECU -help finding the correct tune!
    Member #

Newbie to Tune ECU -help finding the correct tune!

Hey all,
    I'm a new member to this fantastic forum and have a few questions in regards to Tune ECU. I recently got a 2008 Truimph Speed Triple 1050 and has a shorty/low Comp Werks Slip on Exhaust and a few cosmetic additions... front headlight conversion kit, and the past owner mentioned it hasnt been tuned in the bikes lifespan. I've been educating myself on how the process works and the main issue i have ran into in my lack of expertise to the matter, is finding the correct custom mapping for my bike to use in Tune ECU....

I stumbled across the TOD custom map that has gotten rave reviews and i think i actually was moist in my undercarriage after reading about it...Not sure if it is capable for my setup. I went ahead and ordered a lonetec proper cable from the UK thats in the mail.. Any information or direction on locating a tune for my bike would be appreciated !!
    Cheers,
    Chef
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Nice jackstand! I run the TOD on my 2005 with a compwerks and a BMC filter with the SAI blocked off. It runs well when it isn't eating stators!

Member #
    Thanks! @norcalAFs3 ...... how did you like the TOD tune Versus the Previous? Was it stock before you made the TOD Flash?

Im wondering if it makes a difference if you need to be specific with the exhaust (slip on versus full)? I found a possible fit from tune ecu, but need some insight from someone with some more knowledge....
    Woud this work ?

Speed Triple 1050 / From VIN # 305060 to VIN # 461331 (Steel tank) / Keihin ECU
    These models can be remapped only with cable.
    S3-Tune-of-Death.hex md5checksum Speed Triple (200 1050cc from VIN 305060 to 461331, Arrow 3-1 (base tune) SAI Functioning,
    unblocked CompWerkes GP exhaust, K&N or FlashGuard removed from stock airfilter, 93 Premium fuel with ACES IV(www.aces-worldwide.com) (tune built in ambient temp 85 degrees+)
    more info under https://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/...od-review.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheSpeedTriple.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BigThymeChef View Post
    Thanks! @norcalAFs3 ...... how did you like the TOD tune Versus the Previous? Was it stock before you made the TOD Flash?

Im wondering if it makes a difference if you need to be specific with the exhaust (slip on versus full)? I found a possible fit from tune ecu, but need some insight from someone with some more knowledge....
    Woud this work ?

Speed Triple 1050 / From VIN # 305060 to VIN # 461331 (Steel tank) / Keihin ECU
    These models can be remapped only with cable.
    S3-Tune-of-Death.hex md5checksum Speed Triple (200 1050cc from VIN 305060 to 461331, Arrow 3-1 (base tune) SAI Functioning,
    unblocked CompWerkes GP exhaust, K&N or FlashGuard removed from stock airfilter, 93 Premium fuel with ACES IV(www.aces-worldwide.com) (tune built in ambient temp 85 degrees+)
    more info under https://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum/...od-review.html
    If the VIN falls in the range, you should be fine. I went from a stock setup to the compwerks with TOD, then eventually added the BMC filter, then years later did the SAI block off after I started thinking my neighborhood would appreciate less backfire/gunshot noise! It ran fine, though a little rich before the filter and SAI mod. I tried the arrow low tune and had a very noticeable stumble around 3-4k rpm, so I went back to the TOD and haven't looked back. You can change the tune in the tuneECU program to allow for the SAI being active or not, and if your bike has the O2 sensor in the exhaust (mine doesn't).

Member #
    DOOOOPE. Thanks for the knowledge! just checked out my title and looks like i fall smack dab in between the VIN range. BMC- is that a air intake mod? talked with the previous owner of my truimph and he mentioned the smog block off plate has been removed-is that the same as an SAI Block? I've never owned a euro bike prior , strictly Japanese(FZ6, FZ07, Proz125 Kawasaki) ... and had the luxury of living down the road from a bike shop mechanic, and he refuses to work on Truimphs lol. I look at it as a blessing that i can learn to do it myself since literally no one else around will ..

Member #
    BMC is just a reusable air filter that flows a little more than stock. The SAI is a secondary air injection, you should be able to see on the top of each cylinder viewed from the side if there are hoses routed from the airbox to the cylinder head. The block off plates will look a little out of place, I'll see if I can snap a picture in the morning or you can run a search for SAI block off plates and see if someone already posted some finished photos, I think there is a detailed how to either here or the other triumph forum.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalAFs3 View Post
    search for SAI block off plates and see if someone already posted some finished photos, I think there is a detailed how to either here or the other triumph forum.
    Just use an old marble or Anal bead.

https://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum...2008-a-12.html
    https://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum...-search-6.html
    https://www.thespeedtriple.com/forum...ed-triple.html

Quote Originally Posted by crashmasterd View Post
    ...and to answer your most important question, no there is no performance advantage.* The primary advantages are stopping the popping and backfiring, and the decrease in weight due to removal of the solenoid.

*caveat: This assumes you have not routed the SAI to the crankcase breather. Using the SAI to create a partial vacuum in the crankcase can add a little horsepower.
    Last edited by chaos; 10-08-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Member #
    Hey y’all. So I uploaded the Tune of death this afternoon on my 08 speedie . Couple of issues I came across wanted to pick someone’s brain about it . So after the download finished , I disconnected from tune ECU , turned the ignition off and did the reset . I have an o2 sensor on my pipe and I forgot to disable it and realized it 3/4 the way thru the download .. thought I saw somewhere it wouldn’t matter too much if it’s disabled or not ... but it def does matter . I got an error code P1690 malfunction “can bus error “ ..

I also ran it for the 12 mins as per the instructions off these threads and it said the TPS light should turn green for the idle to be read on the bikes ECU ... didn’t see it after 15 mins ...

I took a test ride and the bike is absolutely Tits McGee . It’s smooth as butter AND HAS HUGE BALLS . Much more responsive and feels way more powerful..

Anyways , I still have that error code p1960, and wondering if I can just re install the TOD CORRECTLY this time with the SAI Diasbled and the O2 enabled? I had them flip flopped like a real dingus .

The "Friends" of Officer Frank Poncherello dr_gallup's Avatar
    Member #
    Some things you can change without reloading the tune, not sure if that's one of them. But you can definitely change the settings in the tune and reload it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BigThymeChef View Post
    Hey y’all. So I uploaded the Tune of death this afternoon on my 08 speedie . Couple of issues I came across wanted to pick someone’s brain about it . So after the download finished , I disconnected from tune ECU , turned the ignition off and did the reset . I have an o2 sensor on my pipe and I forgot to disable it and realized it 3/4 the way thru the download .. thought I saw somewhere it wouldn’t matter too much if it’s disabled or not ... but it def does matter . I got an error code P1690 malfunction “can bus error “ ..

I also ran it for the 12 mins as per the instructions off these threads and it said the TPS light should turn green for the idle to be read on the bikes ECU ... didn’t see it after 15 mins ...

I took a test ride and the bike is absolutely Tits McGee . It’s smooth as butter AND HAS HUGE BALLS . Much more responsive and feels way more powerful..

Anyways , I still have that error code p1960, and wondering if I can just re install the TOD CORRECTLY this time with the SAI Diasbled and the O2 enabled? I had them flip flopped like a real dingus .
    The 12 minutes tune is ran from cold, then once the bike reaches 5 temp bars the 12 minutes begins, it's usually about a 20 minute total deal for my bike

Sponsored Links