Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought used speed triple back in March and put a couple thousand miles on it without issue until June.

I had ridden the bike upwards of 300 miles in a couple different legs without any issues. A few blocks from my home (luckily) the dash started flashing the neutral light (in 3rd gear), and then began to sputter and suddenly shut off. No power to the dash and no response when turning the ignition key.

While walking the bike home the dash/lights would suddenly come alive, and it would go through it’s sequence when I flipped the kill switch, but would do nothing or suddenly shut off again if I hit the start button.

When I got it home it would give no response when I flipped the key back and forth. The only sign of life was a faint shimmer on two of the small dash lights, but only if I flipped the key quickly.

I’ve let it sit for a couple weeks now and the battery has dropped down to 10v. While hooked to a jump starter I can get dash and lights, but when I try to start it just clicks hard once and dies.

Eventually the lights/dash will come alive again, but same response when I hit the starter. One click, and boom… dead.

I’ve changed all of the fuses (no difference) and I put the battery on a trickle charger to try again tomorrow.

I also noticed that with the ignition off, the battery shows voltage, but if I turn the key the voltage drops to 0. Same thing with the fuses. Key off they light up a tester, key on some of them do and some don’t.

Not much mechanical knowledge, so please be kind.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
I know it sounds too easy to be true, but check that your battery cables are tight and not frayed. I went through exact same issues a few years back and realized I had a loose battery connection. Also check the cables that run near the headstock. They’ve been known to wear and fray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery connections are good and no sign of fraying wires that I can see.

Update: I bit the bullet and bought a new battery and it fired up immediately. It’s showing a check engine light, but I’ve read that can happen after the battery is disconnected and goes away after a few rides.

I’m still not convinced that I don’t have something else going on. I’ve never heard of a battery going dead in the middle of a ride. The battery was only 3 months old at this point.

Any more thoughts? I’m scared that it’s just going to happen again and I won’t be a few blocks away next time. Plus, I can’t afford to buy a new battery every 3 months.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Battery connections are good and no sign of fraying wires that I can see.

Update: I bit the bullet and bought a new battery and it fired up immediately. It’s showing a check engine light, but I’ve read that can happen after the battery is disconnected and goes away after a few rides.

I’m still not convinced that I don’t have something else going on. I’ve never heard of a battery going dead in the middle of a ride. The battery was only 3 months old at this point.

Any more thoughts? I’m scared that it’s just going to happen again and I won’t be a few blocks away next time. Plus, I can’t afford to buy a new battery every 3 months.
A battery dying during motor operation is usually a dead give away that the charging system is kaput.

Next time you're out at the bike, with the voltage meter, fire it up and measure the voltage at the battery. If youre seeing less than 14v while the engine is running it could be a Stator or Regulator/Rectifier problem. Both are not too big a deal to fix.

Alternatively, there is a ground on the top of the transmission housing, check and see that its not corroded to hell and that its tight!

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
To really check the stator you need to check the 3 leads coming from it with the bike running. Should have equal voltage between each leg. Voltage will go up with rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts