Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short... bought a bike form some asshole on craigs. Driving it home it died on the side of the road.... out of gas. Well I replaced the light for the gas gauge and taking the cluster off realized it had rain damage and none of the buttons worked.... the speedo still reads the right MPH and time but the gas light is officially ****ed. I obviously need a new cluster but I need to know which years will fit for the 06.... I know there are threads but haven't seen a part number or difinitive answer for what exactly what years or if a street triple cluster may work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same issue with my 07.
I replaced the bulb with one from one of those cheapy Harbor Freight flashlights [you get 9 bulbs per light] and it didn't work until I followed the circuit board foil and found the break. I scraped away the coating and used rear window defroster repair paint to glue a strand of wire to the board to bridge the gap. Works fine now, tried replacing the buttons but the board foil is too rotten around them for good contact.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have fixed 3 clusters to date, one was so far gone sounds like wdietz186 the owner did not want me to try using some fine wire back to a good trace, not a sure fire fix but might have worked.
In all three cases found the cellophane for the fuel, lights etc to be leaking. Make sure you figure out what cause the leak or any repair will be temporary unless you keep it dry.

·
Registered
782 Posts
what is the best way to re-do the seal?
Still looking for the best way.
Used silicone sealed it up but did the lights no favors.

So far no one has volunteered to use any other sealant, the plastic over the lights look like a cellulose and could be greatly affected by many glues. Not to mention the ink/paint used on the plastic could dissolve.

IMO the lights are a nice, the switch's a must. I like using the trip odometer to keep track of miles on this tank of fuel OR miles to empty.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
CA and then repaint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts