Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called about this they said that the recall was two bolts in the rear brake caliper need replaced. What happens to these bolts? I don't really use the rear brake. Only light use with wheelie control and when stopping on loose surface. They said I had to bring the bike and leave it while they ordered the parts (a week). So I don't want to mess with this if it's not really necessary. Any one have more info?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Do you know what serial# range if affected? Mine is an '06. I would see about just getting the bolts and doing it yourself, it's not hard, should only take a few minutes. 1 week+, or 10 minutes, mmmmmmm.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Took about an hour at my dealer last year.

Give them your VIN and get them to order the part. Then when they get it get the work done.

Don't give em your bike for a week for this. They just want to ride it.

There was a fair bit of work to do. Not just replacing the bolts.

AA

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
What exactly would the bike be standing there for without the parts for a week? Tell your dealer to fuck off :violent1: :gtfo:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No they said they cant order the parts unless they have the bike in the store. They wont order ahead of time. Yea I can replace the bolts but they wont let me do that either. AA your dealer must be more cooperative than mine.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Ranger32,
That is complete BS!

Contact Triumph and report this BS. Some dealers should NOT be. Then report this to the local BBB - it doesn't mean much, but it does bring heat down on them.

Tell the dealer to give you a loaner S3 while you bike is waiting on parts then.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
the rangers lost last night. giving up a goal with 7.7 seconds left is priceless!!!! :afro:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Range32 - that is total B.S . +1
Is your dealer in the NY area? You don't have to name names directly, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to go there accidently. They basically want to work on your bike at THEIR CONVIENENCE, not yours. The only reason for them to have the bike for a week.

And they probably won't order the parts for you a) because they don't want to get stuck with the inventory, and b) they want to be able to charge back Triumph Corporate for 2 hours of recall work on a job that takes them 30 minutes to do.

That type of crap just speaks to your dealers priorities - or lack of priorities.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indy Triumph In Indianapolis. I can cheat this I will just order new bolts and install them myself. Dont get the benefit of free parts but no bull :horse:

·
Registered
263 Posts
ah, Indy? You didn't have a location in your profile, so I assumed you were a NY Metro area Rangers fan and your punk dealer was in my nieghborhood. Glad to hear it's not. But sorry for your troubles. Good luck with the replacement.
-CT

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Ranger, my dealer needed to confirm/sight my VIN to order the parts and bill Triumph for the work. After that there should be no problem for them to order the parts. If you don't come back they still get paid by Triumph.

I can't remember what the work entailed but the experienced Triumph mechanic who did my work said it was a PITA so I don't think it was just the bolts.
I think they had to dissassemble the whole axle/brake/wheel assembly to get at the bolts.

AA

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I think this recall is for the rear caliper mounting bracket bolt. Its the bolt that mounts the bracket to the swingarm, not the two bolts that mount the caliper to the bracket. I believe this bolt replacement requires partial disassembly of the rear hub. Check page 335 of the manual. I think there was an incident where a couple of these bolts sheared, allowing the rear caliper to rotate on a few bikes. Seems a batch of the bolts were improperly tempered. Triumph decided to replace all bolts from that batch, as a failure could result in a crash.

If they need you to bring the bike in the verify the VIN and that the recall hasn't been done, fine. No dealer should have to keep your bike until the replacement part comes in, unless they feel it would open them up to liability if the part fails while the replacement is on order.

I know mine was done during pre-delivery check (bought mine in October, 2006)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys I will try to work something out with them. I didn't know the specifics of the problem until the good guys of speedtriple came to the rescue :smiley-asskiss:

·
Registered
352 Posts
they replaced mine when they registered it for the warranty. it was same problem with the bolt sheering. i believe there may be something about it on triumph's website. i would hate to have been the guinea pig for that one..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone can check the triumph site to see if any of the official recalls apply to their bike. Click on "technical" then on "Recall & Technical Updates VIN Check Inquiry." Just checked mine and the reply was that there were not technical bulletins or recalls that applied to my bike.

Better yet, just click http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/4799.aspx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.