Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6,882 Posts
TPS/stepper motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,882 Posts
Yes sir. You’ll need to tap into the ECU to read the voltage coming from the TPS. Use TuneECU (free download) and a diagnostic cable to talk to the ECU. Unsure of what the voltage is supposed to be, but you can Google that or find it on one of the triumph specific websites.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
“The purpose of the stepper motor is to control the idle speed of the engine in all conditions. If you start a gasoline engine when it's cold out and the engine is cold, if you didn't have the stepper motor you would have to manually open the throttle a bit to keep the engine going until the bike heated up.”

Also regulates idle when engaging clutch.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
I hope it solves the issue. Not to rain on your parade, but when my stepper motor was going bad I would reset the adaptives and TPS and everything worked fine for about 150 miles. Next time I went out to start it, same idle/stall issues. Reset TPS and adaptives again and everything worked fine. I suggest a test ride close to home each time before any long runs. Just 20 feet forward in 1st then engage the clutch and you’ll know if you need another reset. It’s what I did for over a year before finally bringing it to the dealer.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
Hopefully the tune will solve the issue. When I first dropped my bike off at the dealer they called me a few days later and said they had it all fixed and all it required was a new map. I told them I don’t think that’s the cure, but I would come down and ride the bike for a few miles near the dealership and return with a report. Bike started acting up before I even got out of the parking lot. That’s when they decided to replace the TPS stepper motor. Everything has worked well since.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
I too disassembled and reassembled to a point of madness which forced me to bring the bike to the dealer. For about a year I was able to reset everything through tune ECU and ride for a couple days without issue, then the problem would rear its ugly head again. Got to the point where resetting wasn’t enough to allow me at least a couple days of enjoyable riding. Like I said in the first post, they thought it was a tune and ended up being wrong. I left it with them and they replaced the stepper motor. Everything has worked well since. I don’t know what they did other than replace the stepper motor so I can’t really offer any advice. I can empathize and offer emotional support though!

Do you hear or see the stepper motor move when resetting it?

· Registered
6,882 Posts
Also, I was always able to start mine without issue. It would only want to stall when engaging the clutch at low speeds.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
Good to hear Duff! You’re probably aware, but you can disable the O2 sensor in TuneECU. I only mention it incase the problem rears it’s head again.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
Keep us posted. This problem has baffled folks for some time.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
I can’t answer your question but I can tell you that every time mine acted up, a reset of the adaptives always worked as a temporary fix for me. You are correct in assuming it will rear its ugly head again. I jumped on my bike this weekend and the problem arose again after I had it at the dealer two years ago. I reset the adaptive and everything worked fine. It sucks though, I’m not comfortable riding it any distance.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
So, I too was a little sus about resetting the adaptives but I had a thought
The Map im running is the TOD, which doesnt use the O2 sensor, the adaptives can only really be captured by a show and response type sensor feed, I.E. the map sensor, the fuel tables, and TPS "feed" the motor, the O2 sensor. records how well they did and alters the fuel trim to compensate for values found in the exhaust stream.

So, by disabling the O2 sensor (something I never thought would make that big a difference) I effectively removed the biked ability to do its own fuel trimming.

I dont know if the fuel trimming map effects the idle map that controls the ISCV stepper position but it must do something to it, otherwise we wouldnt find ourselves in this predicament.

I have ridden it around 400 mile now, and every time I swing a leg over and fire it up I cringe expecting the worst but so far it has been good. I've run it through every scenario that usually brings about the idling issue, long rides, short rides, restarts, etc and so far so good.

I haven't stopped riding with my tablet in my backpack though in case I need an emergency adaptives reset but I have scanned it a few times to see if the problem is progressing but everything seems relatively normal.

The BIGGEST PITA was the fact that I would sometimes reset the TPS and the bike would still read that the throttle was partially open. I think that is the root cause of this issue, but I don't know how to investigate the causes because it seems to be a purely software related problem. You set the reference voltage and the ISCV voltage and that should be the new "0"

Im hoping this is the end of the line for me, as I've really started to run out of fucks, and the sentimental value of this bike is running in short supply. If it acts up again I'm going to reset the adaptives and ride it to a dealer and get a different bike.
I’m going to disable my O2 and give it a test. I feel it’s a good idea to have a couple different test subjects. I’ll report back on how well or how poorly this idea worked.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
I think the issue we are having is more idle adjustment when coming to a stop. Upon acceleration I have no issues at all. When the idle issue happens I have to massage the throttle to keep it running while stopped.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
Hey Duff, any positive news on this? Mine is back to its same old issues. O2 disabled and I have to reset adaptives to get it to run and not stall when engaging clutch. Once adaptives are reset it runs fine until it sits for a day or two. I’m tempted to sell it at this point but I feel bad selling it to someone in this condition.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
Hey man,

I haven't been riding it as much due to my work schedule but what you're saying makes me a little fearful that I may have just masked the gremlins

I know im just shooting from the hip here but have you checked your ground on top of tranny housing? you said this happens after it sits for a bit? Do you keep your battery on a tender?
Always on a tender. I’ll check the ground on the tranny housing. At this point I’ll try anything. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll keep you posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts