Triumph Speed Triple Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 2006 S3 with approx. 6500 miles on it. I've been riding it the last month or so with no issues until yesterday I noticed a small amount of oil seeping from the front left side of the head gasket. I literally saw tiny oil bubbles coming from the front left corner of the head gasket so I know thats exactly where it's coming from. Again it is a SMALL amount but enough to alarm because I know any kind of head gasket leakage is not good.

I have searched a few forums and found that other people have had similar issues. My first thought was "this is going to be an expensive fix!" To my surprise I found that some riders are just retorquing the orginal gasket and it seems to fix things in some cases. My questions/concerns are:

1. What are the factory torque specs for the head gasket?

2. What is the sequence for torquing the head bolts?

3. If I retorque this gasket how much more NM's of ft-lbs should I take it?

4. Other than making a mess, can I further damage my S3 by continuing to ride it until it's fixed?

If anybody has a PDF file of the cylinder head torque specs of their service manual it would be greatly appreciated! Please help I can't stand leaving her sit.

2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (jet black)
Competition Werkes exhaust
BMC race filter
Arrow 3-1 tune

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
If you retorque the head, I would not recommend exceeding the recommended torque values. Also if you are going to retorque the head, I wouldn't ride it before you do that.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
:sign5: do it cold, as these torque specs are assuming the metals are cold. also, be certain to follow the torque sequence.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please repost the link to the manual please! I was able to view it last night but I didnt have a printer at home. When I came to work this morning to view it something happened to the link and it won't open now.

I do have one more question. Will I be able to torque the head bolts without removing the cams?

Thanks for all the input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts